Caught my first Central Mudminnow!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Well this afternoon I went out to a local creek in hopes of doing some rockbass/sunfish fishing. I pulled out my pole with a nice crawler on the end and tossed it out with a nice crawler on the end.. look down at my feet and noticed some little fish moving... look up and my bobber is 30-40 yards up stream... I set the hook and down stream the fish came.. when I saw it was a northern I was a bit afraid as I had ultra light gear with me... he swam right past and snapped my line. I then decided to pick up my dipnet and see what was swimming at my feed.. and I found out it was about a 4" mudminnow! I had only seen them once before when I was about 10 and they were the bait! Now I caught one of w hat I was hoping to find one day soon!

My question reguarding these, what size tank for a pair or trio? Granted I only have one right now, but I would like to keep a small group of them and didn't know what size tank would be recommended?

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

Well this afternoon I went out to a local creek in hopes of doing some rockbass/sunfish fishing. I pulled out my pole with a nice crawler on the end and tossed it out with a nice crawler on the end.. look down at my feet and noticed some little fish moving... look up and my bobber is 30-40 yards up stream... I set the hook and down stream the fish came.. when I saw it was a northern I was a bit afraid as I had ultra light gear with me... he swam right past and snapped my line. I then decided to pick up my dipnet and see what was swimming at my feed.. and I found out it was about a 4" mudminnow! I had only seen them once before when I was about 10 and they were the bait! Now I caught one of w hat I was hoping to find one day soon!

My question reguarding these, what size tank for a pair or trio? Granted I only have one right now, but I would like to keep a small group of them and didn't know what size tank would be recommended?

awesome job. they dont swim around much. but i did hear that in pairs they tend to be aggressive...so a trio would be better. id say a 20 gallon long would be fine. the hardest part is getting them to eat. but its fun watching them attack food!

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

He is soo neat to watch.. acts just like northern's do.. sits in the grassy vals and ambushes the flake food lol~!

#4 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Nate, just so you know for next time it is illegal, in Wisconsin, to remove fish from the water without it being dead. It's a law that's a pain in the butt but that's just the way it is. To late now but just remember that for next time. Don't release the fish now either, releasing could introduce a non-native disease into native waters which would just make the whole issue of collecting worse.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:48 AM

I've PMed Corban (fishyz). For the edification of the forum, it's OK for Nate to collect because he has his minnow harvest permit from the DNR. For others in Wisconsin interested in getting the minnow harvest permit, contact Nick Legler of the DNR. His email is: Nicholas.Legler@Wisconsin.gov. If you have any other questions about Wisconsin regulations, please let me know.

Brian

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users