Photo

2011 Convention preliminary planning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

Please see below for dates being considered for the prospective 2011 meeting in Virginia. Any comments are appreciated.

One thing we wanted to make you aware of: all the properties said that we would need to avoid the weekend when Virginia Tech has graduation. That is the second weekend in May – from the 13th – 15th. Mother’s Day is May 8th – I’m not sure if we will need to avoid that weekend? If so, that would only give us the third weekend from Thursday, May 19 through Sunday May 22nd since Memorial Day is the fourth weekend. Bob believes that if we wait any later than that, the vibrant spring breeding colors will have started to pass. So with that in mind, we’re looking at the first weekend (Mother’s Day) or the third weekend in May.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

Hooray, a nearby state! We still had some purty nice colored fishies in June for the 2007 convention in NC.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

I would vote for the third weekend. I think that we should avoid Mother's Day.

Brian

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

What about school schedules? Many NANFA members, potential speakers and field trip leaders are educators and/or students.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

You're right about that. Most colleges are out by the third weekend of May, with another week to go before summer school starts.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

I'm thinking about next year, and trying to plan ahead... has a firm date been set for NANFA 2011 in Virginia?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

What kinds of fish is NANFA targeting to see this convention?

Fish high on my list to see/collect:

Roanoke Bass***
Fallfish
any Jumprocks
Torrent Sucker
Flat Bullhead
Mud Sunfish
Flier Sunfish
Redfin Pickerel
Chain Pickerel
White Catfish
Open to whatever else.

Need Photos of:

Blueback Herring
American Shad
Hickery Shad

I'm dieing to make one of these, I hope things turn around enough so this could be the year.
Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#8 bart

bart
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Wow, pretty close to me too. I really hope to attend this year if I can. Lots o' pretty fish down there!
Coming soon, bartgelesh.com

#9 ashtonmj

ashtonmj
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:19 AM

I don't think you should be TOO worried about the spring colors being gone by going into late May or even the first week of June. If the conference is being held in more of central VA you're surrounded mostly by Highland and Piedmont streams draining the Blue Ridge. There will still be good colors for most fish. Just peaking into our water temperature data really quickly I see that the mainstem of Antietam Creek (a 4th order stream just into the Highlands) had an average daily temp of 16 C on 6/1, so still pretty cool. Larger coastal plain streams in southern MD are also about the same average daily temp (~16 C) on 6/1.
Matt Ashton
Chesapeake Bay
Baltimore, MD

#10 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

The meeting will be the weekend of May 20 in the Roanoke, VA area. We are working on a preliminary announcement currently.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#11 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Oh Shenandoah, I long to see you
And to wade your rolling riffles
Oh Shenandoah, I love your darters
To seine, we're bound to seine
From New to Dan, and Maury.

YEEEEHAAAA !!!
I'll let various NC fish and nature orgs know.
Do we have supporters at VA-DGIF?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#12 farmertodd

farmertodd
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, I'll agree with Matt and the thing I'd be more worried about is being too early for the spawning cyprinids :)

Glad to see a date, thanks for your work on this!

At some point, if the organizers could contact me, Jeremy Monroe of Freshwaters Illustrated and I would like to lead an all day snorkel and underwater photography workshop, if that would be feasible. We can do the specific organization etc, but wanted to make sure this would be okay to do.

Excited for it!

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
http://www.farmertodd.com

#13 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Todd,

It is towards the beginning of the cyprinid spawning season. It will vary from stream to stream as I'm sure you know. We've collected YoY MRBD in early June so we should be good. That would be awesome if you would lead a field trip. That is one less that I have to organize...

gerald,

I've worked with the VDGIF before since I had my permit but after put on the new permit restrictions, I haven't kept in touch.

We do have to be careful as an organization regarding this trip. There are a lot of endemics in this area and a few listed species so any collecting with have to be done with extreme care.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#14 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

What area of Virginia are we thinking of visiting? I will likely come, especially if its in west or central va.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#15 daveneely

daveneely
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

FYI

from http://www.dgif.virg...sp?VAC=020-065; my comments in brackets

"Proposed Regulation Amendment
4VAC15-20-65. Definitions and Miscellaneous: In General. Hunting, trapping, and fishing license and permit fees.
Summary

The proposal is to increase the fees for hunting, trapping, and fishing licenses and certain permits by the following amounts: (i) Virginia resident annual and lifetime licenses, licenses for additional privileges, and certain permits, by $5 each; (ii) Virginia resident "sportsman's" licenses by $30 each; (iii) non-resident annual and lifetime licenses, licenses for additional privileges, by $50 each [from $36 to $86]; (iv) the nonresident license to freshwater and saltwater fish, by $63 [from 60.50 to 123.50]; and (v) the nonresident license to freshwater and saltwater fish for five consecutive days, by $55 [from $16 to $71].

The fee increases in the proposed amendment are the maximum allowable under the Board's authority, so as to provide the Board with a range of options regarding fee increases including various amounts up to or less than the maximum allowable increases."

#16 farmertodd

farmertodd
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Interesting. That'll make for $1.42 per fish that you'd be allowed to have in your possession. Definitely something to consider.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
http://www.farmertodd.com

#17 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

When will the ruling be made?

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#18 ashtonmj

ashtonmj
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Wow that is a big annual increase.
Matt Ashton
Chesapeake Bay
Baltimore, MD

#19 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

It doesn't look like it would go into affect until April if it is passed. VA license are good for a year after the date of purchase. After the details are finalized people who plan to attend could go ahead and buy theirs. I already have my VA license for the year.

Edit:
Sorry for the prior questions, I was viewing on my phone and didn't see that the date/place had been set.

Roanoke on the weekend of the 20th, I'm in!!

Edited by jblaylock, 07 January 2011 - 04:10 PM.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#20 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Wow, I hadn't seen that yet. I know they've been holding up increases the past couple of years even though they had permission to. But such a large increase for non-residents is ridiculous. Although I guess the rivers will see less pressure...

It won't affect the convention though as any changes won't be effective until July 1.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal