Injurious Wildlife Evaluation; Amphibian Trade and Chytrid Fungus

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cdayton_*

Guest_Cdayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

I was recently looking for some info on shipping salamanders into the state when I found some new legislation that I believe is currently being reviewed. I know this isn't related to fish, but I think several people keep amphibians as well as fish so I thought it might be a good idea to bring up.

The abstract is as follows: We are reviewing a petition to add all traded live amphibians or their eggs to our list of injurious wildlife under the Lacey Act unless certified as free of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (chytrid fungus). The importation and introduction of live amphibians infected with chytrid fungus into U.S. natural ecosystems may pose a threat to the interests of U.S. agriculture, fisheries, and commerce, as well as to the welfare and survival of wildlife and wildlife resources. For live amphibians or their eggs infected with chytrid fungus, an injurious wildlife listing would prohibit the importation into, or transportation between, States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any U.S. territory or possession by any means, without a permit. Permits may be issued for scientific, medical, educational, or zoological purposes.

The link to the actual site is here: http://www.reginfo.g...4&RIN=1018-AX05

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

This is interesting. Thanks for posting that.
First time I've seen this come up but did know there was talk about it.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

There is an advisory campaign in Alabama started by herp faculty at some Birmingham-area schools urging field biologists to thoroughly clean their gear between trips because some new Chytrid species have been found in amphibians in the state for the first time. Maybe that's an artifact of someone looking for Chytrids where no one has before, but it's not a happy sign. I have a several-page handout that I received at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab earlier this month that I'd be happy to fax to anyone who's curious.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

Chytrid fungus is one reason, since we conduct vernal pool surveys, that we disinfect our waders and boots between every stream survey site.

#5 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Can this stuff survive drying out? I don't habitually disinfect my stuff, but I use it weekly or less so it gets good and dry.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

10% Bleach solution is a required and normally practiced method for our organization between any sites no matter the length of time or distance. It is simple and easy to mix this up and place in a spray bottle and there is little reason to not do so. I urge everyone to practice this simple action to prevent spread of these nasties as well as others.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users