handpaint bluegill

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

The following are photographs of handpaint bluegill showing spots but not so much of red throat area. Smallest fish pushing eight inches (I have big hands).

Adult male.
Attached File  103_3319.JPG   1.14MB   7 downloads

Adult female. I did not know females had spots.
Attached File  103_3325.JPG   1.06MB   3 downloads

Adult male.
Attached File  103_3323.JPG   1.05MB   3 downloads

Edited by centrarchid, 18 May 2010 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Wow, that's unusual! Never seen a fish like that!

Brian

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

The unusual nature of these guys involves more than spots. The flanks are silvery blue and dorsal area is decidedly reddish. Pumped males also can sport a read throat area.

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

Did you catch them near a nuclear power plant???? :D/

Brian

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

No, they are wild caught leftovers from my bluegill domestication project. They are leftovers in terms of wild caught animals that were not used as broodstock. Otherwise they are perfectly normal handpaint bluegill.

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hmmm. I guess I've just never heard the term "handpaint" bluegill before.

Brian

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

He's developing the next fashion-craze fish: the Flowerhorn Bluegill.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

The fish shown as handpaint bluegill are not hybrids or a product of my selection efforts. They are extras sampled from a wild stock where all animals in the source population exhibit the characteristics shown. They are a documented population of the lower Apalachicola drainage of the Florida pan handle and southwestern Georgia that in my opinion should be considered a distinct species within the bluegill clan.

My Flowerhorn Bluegill equivalent (not shown) is to be a composite of several northern bluegill and coppernose bluegill stocks as well as handpaint bluegill. We do not know what that population will look like yet although it not look like any naturally occurring bluegill stock.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

He's developing the next fashion-craze fish: the Flowerhorn Bluegill.

:laugh: :laugh:

Brian

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

So James, you mean I wasn't joking after all?

My Flowerhorn Bluegill equivalent (not shown) is to be a composite of several northern bluegill and coppernose bluegill stocks as well as handpaint bluegill. We do not know what that population will look like yet although it not look like any naturally occurring bluegill stock.

(PS for those who havent heard of flowerhorn, it's an Amphilophus cichlid hybrid of red devil x trimaculatus, developed and popularized in SE Asia.)

Edited by gerald, 20 May 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#11 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

So James, you mean I wasn't joking after all?

High-jacking thread is more accurate description than a joke. Resulted in degradation of attempt to inform others about a very intersting type of bluegill.

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Sincere apologies. Moderators please delete my two irrelevant posts above, and this one.
Handpaint is indeed a fascinating form of bluegill most of us were unaware of.

High-jacking thread is more accurate description than a joke. Resulted in degradation of attempt to inform others about a very intersting type of bluegill.

#13 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

So these are only located in centralized location, or have similar variations been found anywhere else in the US?

They are very striking.. How big is the largest male you have caught?

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

To my knowledge they are endemic to the drainage from which I collected them. I have not seen handpaint bluegills advertised by aquaculture vendors nor heard of populations elsewhere. The larger males I have are larger than any we saw in wild or mounted in the tackle supply store located near our collection localities. The largest male photographed / caught was pushing close to 11 inches. I am sure they can get larger. I will try to recapture them next fall.

We are rearing some pure handpaint bluegill along with our selectively bred bluegill and several other unselected stocks including a couple types of coppernose. The wild stocks, including handpaints, seem to be loosing ground relative to our selected line when raised indoors. Comparison will continue in ponds over summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users