Minnow ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

I know it's not the best picture in the world but hopefully someone can figure it out. His side was so silver that the flash from my camera phone washed everything out. This was in the Potomac River near Lorton, VA.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

Inland Silverside (Menidia beryllina)??

Brian

#3 Guest_BUGGEEK_*

Guest_BUGGEEK_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:57 AM

Silverside was my first guess but the Virginia Tech Virtual Aquarium said that the only silverside we have is the brook silverside. I think that website is a little out of date.

#4 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

I don't think it is a silverside. I say this because they have two dorsal fins, the first being in front of the anal fin insertion. My guess is for Comely shiner Notropis amoenus The dorsal fin is quite posterior to the anal fin insertion and it has a greenish sheen to it. The picture is quite blurry to get a great ID on... but that is my guess.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

Comely shiner has the dorsal fin origin (base of first ray) a little behind the PELVIC fin origin, not behind the anal fin origin. Dorsal behind anal would have to be a silverside. But IF it was a shiner, i'd agree it looks most like comely.

I don't think it is a silverside. I say this because they have two dorsal fins, the first being in front of the anal fin insertion. My guess is for Comely shiner Notropis amoenus The dorsal fin is quite posterior to the anal fin insertion and it has a greenish sheen to it. The picture is quite blurry to get a great ID on... but that is my guess.

#6 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Comely shiner has the dorsal fin origin (base of first ray) a little behind the PELVIC fin origin, not behind the anal fin origin. Dorsal behind anal would have to be a silverside. But IF it was a shiner, i'd agree it looks most like comely.

Hahaha... I guess thats what I get for posting so early in the morning! Should have had a cup of coffee first! I was talking out of my anal fin!! Thanks for the correction... my bad.

Tim

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users