Where To Catch Small Gar In Southeast Texas?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TexasDiver_*

Guest_TexasDiver_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is John, and I live in Bryan, TX. I would like to catch a few small gar (under 3") soon, and I was wondering where in the Bryan area of Southeast Texas I could find them, and what would be the best way to catch them. I want a small species that stays relatively small even when full grown. You can email me at: mr.coconutpalm@yahoo.com Thanks.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Check the Brazo it is practically right next to you.. You should be able to find Shortnosed and Longnosed in there. Find some shallow ox bows with scattered vegetation along the shoreline and stalk around with a dip net or get a buddy and run a seine along the edges. Under 3 inches is going to be a tough find right now as they spawned down there about 2 months ago. There should be plenty of three to five inch.

More heavily Vegetated areas may also contain Spotted gar.

Alligator gar are also known from the area so get familiar with how to ID them. Lots of photos on www.primitivefishes.com. Please release the gator gars.

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Richard, when should the longnose be spawning her in CNY? Is it happening right now? There are loads of them in the Seneca River and Cross Lake.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users