central kentucky minnow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_naturelover_*

Guest_naturelover_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

I spotted this small fish, which was around 2 inches long, in a shallow creek (probably a foot deep). The pictures are not great because I did not attempt to catch the fish, but it is very beautiful. This fish along with creek chubs appeared to be trying to eat sunfish eggs. The minnows were swarming around depressions in the gravel-bottomed creek and the sunfish were defending the areas. I guess, in addition to the fish identification, has anyone seen this behavior? Also, if it helps, the top of the fish was silvery colored (this aspect doesn't appear much in the pictures)

Attached Files

Edited by naturelover, 25 May 2010 - 05:30 PM.

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

im most of the time wrong but i find it fun to guess anyway...on top of the fact that i never fished or know anything about KY fish besides some darter species.

Scarlet Shiner

^^hahaah

Edited by bumpylemon, 25 May 2010 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

I'd go with Scarlet Shiner (Lythrurus fasciolaris).

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

I'd go with Scarlet Shiner (Lythrurus fasciolaris).

Seconded...

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

i agree Scarlet Shiner now...i change my answer lol

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:25 AM

I was going to say breeding male Redfin Shiner (Lythrurus umbratilis), but I'm not very up on my Kentucky species. Oh, well.

Brian

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hello Naturelover,

I saw your PM, and I'll just answer it here (I had planned to anyway once I got a chance this morning :))

Great observation! As others have pointed out, this is a scarlet shiner. They're one of a few different minnow species that will cuckold their eggs into the nest of another species of minnow, sunfish or sucker. It has been thought until recently that this was a form of nest parasitism, however, the current thinking is that the additional eggs have a dilution effect, thus protecting the "host's" progeny from other fishes eating the eggs. So instead of a parasitic relationship (one is harmed), the situation is mutualistic (both benefit).

I have video from the Barren River watershed in central Kentucky of some of these nest associates using what we think was a redhorse sucker scour in the bedding of the stream post on You Tube:

We also filmed the pinnacle interaction, the bluehead chub nest association a week and some ago in NC... Hopefully The Lycomeister got really good footage of that, because I was having gear problems.

If you don't have aversions to swimming, I'd suggest you get yourself a mask and snorkel and see the amazing things below the water for yourself!

Todd

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Naturelover,

I agree that is a beautiful Scarlet shiner. I have several in my tank at home, one of my favorites.

Naturelover, where are you collecting at? I work in Lex live in Richmond and have some GREAT sites around the area. Myself and a few others on here go out often in the summer and you're more than welcome to go along with us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users