Newbie need help on minnows

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_captrodney_*

Guest_captrodney_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:47 AM

Ok sorry for my stupidity but i am trying to raise / even keep minnows I do use them for bait however this is the issue I am having i want to keep them healthy as possible I have 100 gal rubbermaid stock tank. This was a new tank so no chemicals were in it. I added 100 gal of water city water and treated like i do for my fresh water fish aquarium. Dechlorinated ect. waited 48 hours before adding minnows I have 2 charcoal filers on one end and a aereator on the other. Also its in my garage thats insulated and on hot days not too bad but temo did get around 85 one day so 2 days ago I added a chiller and water temps around 68-70 now. I am loosing tons of minnows i started with about 200 minnows and loosing about 20-50 a day any suggestions appreciated
Posted Image

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:48 AM

Captrodney,

Welcome to the forum! With regard to your minnow situation, I think that you should buy an aquarium test kit or test strips and test your water. It sounds like you've got an ammonia or nitrite spike, but you should test to find out for sure. Also, it could be a delayed reaction to the high temps. I have to give you kudos for putting a chiller on there. You may lose fish now, but future tank stocking should be good. What kind of biofilter do you have on the tank?

Brian

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

Where did you get the minnows? Whenever I've tried to keep bait shop minnows they die because they are in such poor shape by the time I get them. I would recommend collecting your own minnows.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

If you started with 200 minnows in a new 100 gal. system, there was a massive overcrowding situation. I'm surprised that as few as 20 a day were dying. I would guess your system could hold 50 minnows top, if they started in good condition.

#5 Guest_captrodney_*

Guest_captrodney_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

Getting a test kit today. I know 2 other guys that raise 200 plus in 50gal in regular aquariums and rarely loose fish so although a lot of fish I have a hard time thinking 200 in 100 gal is too many it maybe starting off but if I ever get it established I think it will hold them fine. Also the filters are 2 30 gal submersible filters probably cannot keep up. I ordered a 4 stage canister filter this morning that's rated upto 200 gal

for question where I am getting minnow getiing them from a fish hatchery by the pound

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:55 AM

Bruce may be right. Your tank may be overstocked since you're just starting out. I think that your filter will help. It may take a few weeks for the biofilter to "catch up" once you've installed it. Probably best not to add any more fish until you've got the nutrients under control. I have to disagree with Bruce on the point that a properly cycled, aerated, and cooled 100 gallons can hold 200 minnows. I think that that is very possible.

Brian

#7 Guest_captrodney_*

Guest_captrodney_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:59 AM

I am going to add more minnows when it gets stable i really appreciate everyones input.

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:05 AM

I am going to add more minnows when it gets stable i really appreciate everyones input.

if your fish came from a bait shop your loss is normal.
in that trade those fish for bait are the living dead by the time you got them.
we have setup two systems like yours for bait dealers and can keep 2 pounds/about 300-600 small pieces of bait alive for moths @ a time in each.
do a 50% water change and add salt 3 cups per tank that size. and catch your own bait from now on
you will have a better chance of them living.pm for more info if you would like to keep shad alive
its allot more involved and to long of a chat for here.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 27 May 2010 - 05:14 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users