I finally found a hitchhiker at the LFS

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

I had to hit the lfs to pick some stuff up and I was perusing the plant tank when I saw this beauty. I have seen some bluefin at two stores I go to but since they can't get them out of the tank without uprooting everything I just have to lick the glass. So I told the guy it was worth about 4-6 bucks and he said "Yours for $2.00". BAG'UM BABY! It's a little bigger and fuller then my greenheads and it has a very pronounced dorsal fin compared to my greenheads. I looked at everything on sachs, bt's and zimmermans and didn't see anything similar. Any ideas?

Attached Files

Edited by HeadshotZod, 26 May 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

It appears to be an Erimyzon sp., most likely E. sucetta, the lake chubsucker since that is by far the most common one in FL.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

That looks like a Siamese Algae Eater Crossocheilus siamensis to me

Posted Image

I could be wrong

#4 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

I hope it's not the chubsucker, according to sachs they grow to 12". Possibly a chinese algae eater Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus? the dorsal is much more yellow on this one then in the pics I've seen of E. kallopterus. Funny they didn't have any other algae eaters in the store. Its been a while since I've had tanks. The algae eaters I remember were the useless ones with the pronounced "sucker" around the mouth. The barbels on this one are so small they are almost unnoticeable when compared to that siamese algae eater. I don't remember the proper terms for describing the position of the mouths on fish. Mine is turned down like an algae eater.

Edited by HeadshotZod, 26 May 2010 - 04:26 PM.

#5 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

looks like a chubsucker to me. only chubsuckers i've ever seen in person are creek chubsuckers and i don't think thats what you have, but it does look like some kind of chubsucker.

#6 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

here's a bottom shot, the 3 spots are just some detritus in the bag. Sorry about the quality of the pic.

Attached Files

#7 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

check out the pic of the juvenile, mine doesn't have the black line on the dorsal but does look quite similar.

another pic of a juvenile

Edited by HeadshotZod, 26 May 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#8 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

I'm going to keep it(give me another reason to put my 40g breeder together). This must be how the addiction begins :) I took a few more shots of him. There is a hint of the black line on the dorsal so it must be fading with its age.

Attached Files

#9 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

I'm with hmt321. Sure looks like the "Siamese algae eaters" commonly found in the pet trade.

Heya Harry. I hope you've been well.

#10 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

I gotta go with HMT... That's a siamensis. It has the dark blotch at the leading edge of the scale.

#11 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

the second pic looks dead on with what I have. At any rate, I am pretty impressed with the difference between the juvee and the adult lake chubsucker. I'm going to have to return him then. I don't keep my tanks warm enough for this guy. We are having a freak heat wave so my tanks are going to be in the low 70's for a few days. I just wanted to thank everybody for their input. It was a lot of fun reading up on all the fish.

#12 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

Looks like a Siamese Algae Eater to me, too.

Brian

#13 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

I will agree with the algae eater. I was blinded by the fact that it was found with the ghost shrimp and went with the most likely native candidate even though the fish obviously didn't look right. I was hoping that it could be explained by the photo quality and refraction from the bag. Good eye guys.

#14 Guest_deano_*

Guest_deano_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Does the fish have barbels at the mouth like the Siamese algae eater? If not, then it very well could be a juvenile sharpfin chubsucker.

I've not seen many sharpfin juveniles, but I do have a tank full of Lake chubsucker one inch juveniles. And the similarities are there. The few juvenile sharpfins I have seen have yellow fins and very similar markings. They are also more robust looking than the thinner Siamese profile. from the Dorsal to the tail the chubsucker has a slightly more pronounced slope towards the tail. Also, they have round noses.

I'm guessing the fish is over an inch long, and in coloration (happy), a couple of faint stripes along the top from head to tail on both sides of the dorsal (viewed from above).

Paul

#15 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hi Paul. Thanks for the info from a local. Glad to see you here.

#16 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:10 AM

Its hard to see if it has any barbels, at the moment I'm saying not. At least nothing as large as that pic. Size wise at least 3". I'll try to get a better shot of him later. If not, the photosession may have to wait til Tuesday. Thanks again all...

Sharpfin Chubsucker

Edited by HeadshotZod, 28 May 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#17 Guest_njJohn_*

Guest_njJohn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

I would keep it to clean the tank. Many a native tanks have non-native cleaner fish.

#18 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

I'm going to keep him regardless at this point.

small video of the fish sorry about the quality, I think I left my camera at my girlfriend's house.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users