Photo

Richmond, Scotland, Moore counties NC

34 replies to this topic

#1 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm speaking in Queens NY Wed evening May 3rd and since I'll be south of home I'm going to head to NC for a couple days, Thursday afternoon and Friday.  I'm planning on hitting some sites in Richmond, Scotland and Moore counties.  I know weekdays are tough for most but if anyone would like to join me I welcome the company. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

Mike --  I have some field work coming up in SE Moore Co, near Vass, NC.  If I can work out the timing, I can hopefully join you for a couple hrs.  ... Unless the client needs me to get it done sooner.  Any particular target species?  

Also, May 4 is the Raleigh Aqu Soc meeting (7:30-9:30 pm at NCSU Vet School).  Lee Shadbolt from VA speaking on discus.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

Blackbanded sunfish, pygmy sunfish, Fieryblack and Redlip shiners and whatever else that might be seen.  I've collected  in those areas before but usually rushed as I was passing through from somewhere else so I'd like to spend some time at a few sites and explore a bit more and check out the other species even non-fish.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

I sent you an email with link to NC Div Water Resources fish community sampling data.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Thanks,

Been looking at that for a couple weeks, it keeps tempting me to just go a little farther in any given direction and add this species or that species.  So many fishes and so little time.

I've got a hotel for Thursday night in Pinebluff. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

Rain is looking likely for Thu-Fri;  about 0.8 to 1.0 inch in the Sandhills area Thur afternoon to Fri morning.   I was planning to work in Moore Co on Thu so I could join you late afternoon, but might have to do it Wed instead.  I need to map wetlands, which becomes more difficult when the non-wetland areas are also saturated.  Pond collecting should still be okay, but creeks might be high.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#7 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

The weather forecast has been erratic over the last few days so I'm not 100% sure I'm going to come down but then it seems like out of Thur and Friday I should find a few hours maybe? I guess I'll play it loose for now. 

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#8 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

The weather forecast has been erratic over the last few days so I'm not 100% sure I'm going to come down but then it seems like out of Thur and Friday I should find a few hours maybe? I guess I'll play it loose for now. 

Looks like I'm really making this trip finally. Should be near Gum swamp or Jordan swamp creeks by early afternoon this Friday 10/20/17. Will be in area Fri & Sat. Maybe hit a couple creeks near Durham/Raleigh area on way north Sunday. Welcome anyone in the area to join me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#9 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Sorry - i'm working up in Person County that day (head of Tar River).  Other eastern NC/SC folks?  If you post something on the NANFA facebook group you might reach some  people who dont use the forum ...

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

My weekend to work; boo! Tim Aldridge gets all over NC (and everywhere else!) on a fairly regular basis. Maybe give him a shout.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#11 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

My weekend to work; boo! Tim Aldridge gets all over NC (and everywhere else!) on a fairly regular basis. Maybe give him a shout.

Haha thanks Matt, yeah I like to get around and would glad to be of help!

#12 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

... if he'll stoop so low as to use nets, like us old guys

Haha thanks Matt, yeah I like to get around and would glad to be of help!

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#13 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

... if he'll stoop so low as to use nets, like us old guys

Haha, I still use the nets haha, I just like to challenge myself with microfishing lately. Kinda addicting too like everything else on here.

#14 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

Good luck today guys!  Hope you turn up some taillight shiners; maybe even ironcolors. 

The creek beside the fire station at Aberdeen on US-1 is good for pinewoods darters as i recall.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#15 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

Good luck today guys!  Hope you turn up some taillight shiners; maybe even ironcolors. 
The creek beside the fire station at Aberdeen on US-1 is good for pinewoods darters as i recall.

Sadly I did not look at the forum the last few days so I never connected with Tim. I did sample some nice looking pinewood Carter's at gum swamp pond. Didn't keep them though. I have had a great time got banded pygmy sunfish, black banded sunfish, flier, dollars, warmouth, creek chub sucker, margined madtoms, pirate perch, Red fin pickeral, blue gills, redbreast, blue spots, gambusia, swamp Carter's, sawcheek darters, eastern mudminnows, lined topminnows, tesselated darters, fantails, piedmont darters, bluehead chubs, redlip shiners, dusky shiners, fieryblack shiners, whitefin shiners, maybe a tiny highback chub. A couple other silvery shiners probably satinfins and eastern silvery minnows. Two little stinkpot turtles, a bunch of neat eastern newts with red lines instead of just red spots.
Might try Drowning creek for some swampfish since its only 2 miles from my hotel. Heading north tomorrow with a couple stops near Durham.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#16 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

Nice bucket list!  I think Drowning Cr is where I first encountered mud sunfish, 30 yrs ago.  Spotted suns may be there too.

Swamp Carters huh?  sounds like a new redneck reality show?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#17 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Nice bucket list!  I think Drowning Cr is where I first encountered mud sunfish, 30 yrs ago.  Spotted suns may be there too.

Swamp Carters huh?  sounds like a new redneck reality show?

Mud Sunfish? So they do exist lol...

#18 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Didn't see any mud sunfish but did find a couple swampfish in two hours at Drowning creek. Tons of pinewood darters, margined madtoms and many young banded pygmy sunfish.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#19 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

Naw - just messing with ya.  Mud sunfish don't really exist. 

They're one of Isaac's jokes, created by photo-blending a warmouth with a pug.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

#20 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Naw - just messing with ya.  Mud sunfish don't really exist. 

They're one of Isaac's jokes, created by photo-blending a warmouth with a pug.

Lol, Dustin seems to find them regularly, lucky guy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users