Photo

Redfin Pickerel (Esox americanus americanus)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nviole

nviole
  • NANFA Member
  • Congaree/ Lower Saluda River Basins, Columbia, SC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:46 AM

My favorite micro catch so far. This beauty was caught in Congaree National Park in a small swamp creek in the Congaree River drainage in South Carolina. Attached File  20171004_140515-1209x1612.jpg   167.64KB   1 downloads

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:38 PM

Nice! That red is so vivid that at first I thought the wee-beastie had torn up a couple of your fingers.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

They are pretty out of those tannin stained streams.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#4 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

They are pretty out of those tannin stained streams.

I've seen some out of a place down on highway 210 that are melanistic, black instead of green stripes and the red is much more extensive on the fins. That is a great catch, I've been giving some thought to going down to 210 and see if I can catch a couple before the weather turns cold. 

My favorite micro catch so far. This beauty was caught in Congaree National Park in a small swamp creek in the Congaree River drainage in South Carolina. attachicon.gif20171004_140515-1209x1612.jpg

What did you use as bait? I was thinking of using live gambusia on a single tiny hook. Any tips I can use to make sure I catch a few? 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#5 nviole

nviole
  • NANFA Member
  • Congaree/ Lower Saluda River Basins, Columbia, SC

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:38 AM

I just used a small piece of worm. But even the small ones were picky. They spook easily and seem to like some action with the bait. I would imagine a live minnow would work well for the larger ones, or even small artificials.

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

I don't think grass or redfin pickerel could ever get boring. Such a cool species. They are not the easiest fish to catch hook and line either. Super spooky, and often in tiny gin clear bodies of water. Catching one sans net is an accomplishment.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users