Photo

Up Close Gar Encounter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Latest FishGuyJosh video is up! Extreme close up of a gar we encountered in Ichutucknee River in Florida. Enjoy and as always, click subscribe if you get sec. Thanks!

FishGuyJosh

#2 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Very neat. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

Do you share these with the students you work with?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

Not usually. I've made some videos about the mobile fish exhibit that we show to teachers though.

FishGuyJosh

#5 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

Can someone confirm that the gar in the video is a Florida gar or not? I've also gotten messages that it may be a longnose.

FishGuyJosh

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

I initially thought Florida due to all the spotting and assuming you were right, but longnose in clear water tend to have a lot of pattern. Now that you have brought it up, that nose seems awful long and narrow for Florida gar, and I have kept a few. I bet it is a longnose.

#7 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, the guy who brought it to my attention is a gar expert. SO I think I'll have to change my video to appease my OCD, lol! He sent me a bunch of long nose photos showing their pattern variation. He also mentioned spotted and Florida will have the "larger" spots on the head, more like cheetah spots.

FishGuyJosh

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

Well, If it was Solomon David, or Richard Kik, you can be pretty darn sure that it is a longnose. I don't know of any other expert's, but no doubt they are out there. You could probably Isolate a still and measure the ratio's for your own confirmation. Or just name the genus and skip the species. :-

#9 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, it was Solomon. He and I have become networking pals through Instagram and YouTube. Oddly enough he has just taken over teaching at my old university, taking the place of one of my mentors. Small world!

FishGuyJosh

#10 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

SO with the species confirmation complete, here is the new link to the edited video with music added to boot. Enjoy!

FishGuyJosh

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Yeah, it was Solomon. He and I have become networking pals through Instagram and YouTube. Oddly enough he has just taken over teaching at my old university, taking the place of one of my mentors. Small world!

Havent checked recently but Dr Solomon David has been a NANFA member in the past and is very supportive of us and natives in general.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

Havent checked recently but Dr Solomon David has been a NANFA member in the past and is very supportive of us and natives in general.

He is, as far as I know, the GAR EXPERT. Good guy, willing to help. I would take his word as gospel.

#13 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Very cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users