Grundy County Illinois sampling

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Mark, his lovely wife and myself managed to get out this weekend and sample a bit. Weather was perfect and we had a great time.

Ictalurus punctatus Channel Catfish
Posted Image

Hypentelium nigricans Northern Hog Sucker
Posted Image

Micropterus salmoides Largemouth Bass
Posted Image

Lepomis humilis Orangespotted Sunfish
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cyprinella spiloptera Spotfin Shiner
Posted Image

Notropis hudsonius Spottail Shiner
Posted Image

Notropis atherinoides Emerald Shiner
Posted Image

I'm not exactly certain what this is. I originally thought it was Carpiodes carpio but the mouth shot indicates otherwise. I'll just call it "Carpiodes".
Attached File  Carpiodes_2000.jpg   28.84KB   0 downloads

This last fish is just one of them Lepomis.
Posted Image

Many of these fish were rather poor specimens but when you have lemons, try and make lemonade :mellow:

#2 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

Nice catch! pretty orangespotted sunfish! I think your "Carpioides" is a Quillback Carpsucker (Carpiodes cyprinus).

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Great pictures! Thanks for showing them to us.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

I think you were initially right to call it a river carpsucker, Carpoides carpio. The mouth is a little smaller, the opercule is generally rounded, and the anterior rays of the dorsal fin appear to end about midway back. Great OSS head shot and way to get those fins erect in the spotfin. That may be one I need to use for a training presentation.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

I almost forgot a few other photos.
Thanks again for the kind words everyone. Many fish simply would not erect fins for me over the weekend and Matt, just let me know if any photos are of use to you.

Attached File  1_009.JPG   87.07KB   1 downloads
Attached File  1_832.JPG   94.25KB   1 downloads
Attached File  1_836.JPG   104.87KB   2 downloads
Attached File  1_849.JPG   54.16KB   1 downloads
Attached File  1_858.JPG   92.5KB   2 downloads

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Fantastic as always, Uland!

Todd

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

Nice photo shots, the Ictalurus punctatus Channel Catfish is in good shape, nice and fat.

#8 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

Very nice pictures indeed. What's going on in the first pic of you second post? Some kind of fish party? :-s

#9 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

Very nice pictures indeed. What's going on in the first pic of you second post? Some kind of fish party? :-s

Thanks Willie.
I don't know about other NANFA members but once I joined, the fish just started showing up in shallow clear water begging to be photographed. We only had to make two passes with a 4' net to get all of the specimens we photographed :smile2:

Alright....that was a bad joke I could not resist.

The larger fish are impossible to maintain in buckets. This means Mark and I had to either photograph them right away (sort of a pain in the butt to rush and grab the photo gear and set up when away from the car) or we could hold them in this tiny run off water flowing over a nice gravel bed. Mark and I quickly set up a small holding pen for the fish then we continued to sample. Quite a few fish rushed the dam and temporarily escaped but we managed to get all but one fish back into holding for photos.

I really like the fact that even though you know there is a hogsucker in that photo, it's pretty hard to see.

#10 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Fish Party?
Yeah man, that is pretty smart and makes a great photo! I see the hogsucker, Where's Waldo, i mean J. Edgar.
Nice substrate too.

#11 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Haha, I figured you had them trapped in there somehow.
Man, that Lepomis is stout little feller. That gar is quite a beauty as well.

#12 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

Awesome stuff as usual Uland. You're Lepomis is a green x bluegill in some combination. I can't believe I missed this topic til now.

#13 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Mark, his lovely wife and myself managed to get out this weekend and sample a bit. Weather was perfect and we had a great time.

Ictalurus punctatus Channel Catfish
Posted Image

Hypentelium nigricans Northern Hog Sucker
Posted Image

Micropterus salmoides Largemouth Bass
Posted Image

Lepomis humilis Orangespotted Sunfish
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cyprinella spiloptera Spotfin Shiner
Posted Image

Notropis hudsonius Spottail Shiner
Posted Image

Notropis atherinoides Emerald Shiner
Posted Image

I'm not exactly certain what this is. I originally thought it was Carpiodes carpio but the mouth shot indicates otherwise. I'll just call it "Carpiodes".
Attached File  Carpiodes_2000.jpg   28.84KB   0 downloads

This last fish is just one of them Lepomis.
Posted Image

Many of these fish were rather poor specimens but when you have lemons, try and make lemonade :mellow:

Hi,
I think these are outstanding photos. I'm a freelance Science Illustrator, and specialize in aquatic subjects. I can tell you, these are great
reference photographs for showing the anatomical details of fish. This type of photograph is very hard to come by. Please keep up your efforts, and post them.
GREAT WORK.
Jan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users