Chain Pickerel expanding into Ontario

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

Well, in the 2010 Winter magazine of Ontario Out of Doors, they report that the Ontario MNR netted a 23" chain pickerel in the 1000 islands of the St.Lawrence River. This pickerel is the 2nd one to be netted in the area in the past 2 years, which most probably signifies that the Chain Pickerel are expanding their range into Southern Ontario. I personally like this (only another 20 years and I can fish for them in my home waters :laugh: ). The MNR is interested in this expansion and are interested in seeing anglers report any Chain Pickerel catches in the St.Lawrence River and Lake Ontario (with a pic, size, and location).

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

This is not necessarilly a good thing. According to A History of Fishing in New Hampshire the chain pickerel (along with yellow perch and brown bullhead) is largely responsible for the artificial division of water bodies into warm and cold water. Apparently according to that book, most warmwater ponds were once brook trout ponds before pickerel were introduced. Honestly, from what I read, they're one of the big natives for being destructive when introduced outside their range.

#3 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Chain Pickerel are doing that out in Nova Scotia as we speak, huge problem, all caused by a fisherman wanting to not travel a couple hours to fish for pickerel (so he introduced them to the Shubenacadie Canal System, now theyre all over the place along the Canal). As far as I know, theres barely any brook trout lakes in Southern Ontario (gotta go to into the middle of the Canadian Shield for them). As long as Chain Pickerel arent introduced via bait-buckets, it will be virtually impossible for them to infiltrate the Brook Trout Lakes of the Canadian Shield, since those lakes arent connected to the Lower Great Lakes in any way (any water that is connected to the Lower Great Lakes in any way have Pike and Bass in them)

Edited by panfisherteen, 10 January 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#4 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

This is not necessarilly a good thing. According to A History of Fishing in New Hampshire the chain pickerel (along with yellow perch and brown bullhead) is largely responsible for the artificial division of water bodies into warm and cold water. Apparently according to that book, most warmwater ponds were once brook trout ponds before pickerel were introduced. Honestly, from what I read, they're one of the big natives for being destructive when introduced outside their range.

Does NH do a reclamation of any ponds to revert them back to brook trout? I'm pretty sure Mass does not allow the use of rotenone in any circumstances anymore although I'm not sure why.

Edited by az9, 10 January 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#5 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

the ponds are probably connected to each other, so that would be a big project to eradicate all of the pickerel from a pond system

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users