Hi,
I am in Toronto, Ontario.
Anyone from the nearby area?
Alex

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Im pretty sure theres another member who lives in or near toronto, Im 1.5-2 hours north

#3 Guest_DarkMousy_*

Guest_DarkMousy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Markham Ontario here :)

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

Ingersoll

#5 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:58 AM

Ingersoll

...and a former Ingersoll now just west of Winnipeg....not like that helps .. tee hee.

#6 Guest_GoneNative_*

Guest_GoneNative_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hi,
I am in Toronto, Ontario.
Anyone from the nearby area?
Alex

Hi,

I know I'm late on this topic but I just joined the forum recently. I'm also from Toronto.

I just started a 35 long tank with floating water hyacinth plants and a homemade wet/dry filter in a sump. I have three Western Blacknose Dace and love their energy and beautiful colour. They share the tank with a recently added fully grown Pumpkinseed, that after a week is settling right in and eating worms from my hand.

I'd still like to add 4 or 5 Northern Redbellied Dace but am having a hard time trapping any (Humber, Rouge, Terra Cotta Con.Area). Does anyone know a place locally that has them? All the data I can find seems out of date as eco-destruction seems to have eliminated them from places they were formerly found. Sad to see.

I'm a bit obsessive, so would be willing to push the definition of local to a 3 hour drive if necessary.

Chris

#7 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

just check out some streams a little north of the wendys on the 400, there should be some productive streams in the area, might even run into some rainbow darters, just watch out, I think redside dace inhabit the area too and theyre protected

#8 Guest_GoneNative_*

Guest_GoneNative_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

just check out some streams a little north of the wendys on the 400, there should be some productive streams in the area, might even run into some rainbow darters, just watch out, I think redside dace inhabit the area too and theyre protected

'
Thanks panfisherteen. Would that Wendy's be at hwy 9? If so are the streams you're recommending in the Holland marsh? That would make sense for NRBD with it's love of bogs and slow, tea stained water.

I'm pretty sure I can ID a redside, but haven't seen one since becoming interested in natives and trying to ID. Large mouth, one lateral line, red side faded posteriorly, generally larger than similar species. Having said that - the books always make it sound easy. If shiners are any indication, the real world can be more challenging. If there is any doubt I'll put it back.

Cheers

#9 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

yea a give away of the redside dace is the way it's mouth/head looks. i was thinking of streams near newmarket but the marsh is only a stone's throw away

Edited by panfisherteen, 30 October 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#10 Guest_GoneNative_*

Guest_GoneNative_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

yea a give away of the redside dace is the way it's mouth/head looks. i was thinking of streams near newmarket but the marsh is only a stone's throw away

Thanks for the tip Panfisherteen, now to brave the weather and see what I can find.

Cheers

#11 Guest_DarkMousy_*

Guest_DarkMousy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Had any luck? If not, I know a few tackle shops that routinely carry them come spring time.

#12 Guest_GoneNative_*

Guest_GoneNative_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

Had any luck? If not, I know a few tackle shops that routinely carry them come spring time.

Yes I found some, thanks. In a small side pond off Island lake conservation area (used to called be the Orangeville reservoir). I did try several streams in the east Holland river near Aurora/Newmarket with no luck. I think the problem is by the time the river gets slow enough to have the ponds and plant life NRBD like, it's also too polluted and muddy for them.

Also tried a couple of bridges over a creek off the Eramosa river. On guelph line and 2nd line. Can't seem to find the name of the creek but it branches off the Eramosa below Rockwood CA. (blue river/creek perhaps?). Sure looked like perfect NRBD biotype but the minnow trap was completely empty both places. I didn't have much time, so it could just be bad luck.

BTW what shops were you thinking of? Always good to know for the future.

Cheers

#13 Guest_Canadiancray_*

Guest_Canadiancray_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

Any good places to trap in the Burlington area? What bait do you recommend to use for minnow traps?

#14 Guest_DarkMousy_*

Guest_DarkMousy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Check Bronte Creek, park at the carpool parking or the Pioneer gas station parking lot. Walk north of the construction bridge and go into the stream into the shallow gravelly areas. Lots of fantail darters, johnny darters, some mottled sculpins and the usual minnow suspects (shiners, chub etc.).

Does anyone know where to find central mudminnows? I'm looking for an isolated winterkill pond or something, I've had NO luck trapping/netting them in any of the streams (humber headwaters, etobicoke creek, credit river etc.) and I'm looking for an isolated waterbody that might have some. Could you give me the location of that pond by Island lake? I kayak/fish there all the time and I always see mudminnows mixed with the dace in minnow shipments. I could buy them at the baitshop but somehow I feel it would just be so much more rewarding to catch them myself.

Thanks again!

PS: Bait shop is lucky fishing tackle on Sheppard ave. just east of Midland in Scarborough. If anyone ever wants to do a collecting/exploration trip around to different small waterbodies shoot me a PM, the weather's better and fish are coming back into the streams, I'll be checking the forums pretty much daily.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users