Photo

Collecting at the Convention?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Here is a document by Gerald Pottern on collecting fish in North Carolina, not specific to the upcoming Convention :

Attached File  Native_Fish_Keeping_101_Handouts.doc   204KB   215 downloads
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#2 fisgokie

fisgokie
  • Banned

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

Here is a document by Gerald Pottern on collecting fish in North Carolina, not specific to the upcoming Convention :

Attached File  Native_Fish_Keeping_101_Handouts.doc   204KB   215 downloads

it said blue fin killie? will there be any there?

#3 Drew

Drew
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

it said blue fin killie? will there be any there?

It says they are of special concern, so probably no collecting of them even if found.
Drew on the Mighty Potomac River

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

#4 Gambusia

Gambusia
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

Here in NC bluefin killies are only found around Wilmington.

However I find them occasionally in the fish stores around Asheville and have some in a tank.

These are not collected from the wild and not covered by collection restrictions.

I also find the occasional sunfish or swamp darter at the fish store.

#5 viridari

viridari
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

Hmmmm that's an MS Word doc format... can someone attach it in plain text or rtf or pdf so others can open it please?

Thanks!
Magnus H.
Viridari Detective Services International
Vice President of Troll Detection, North America

#6 Brooklamprey

Brooklamprey
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

PDF:

Attached Files

Richard Kik IV

#7 viridari

viridari
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

PDF:

AWESOME... me & my Linux machine thank you!
Magnus H.

#8 viridari

viridari
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

Gerald, I'm reading your handout and have a suggestion for improving one bit of it.

American Eel - The escape risk is indeed very high, but I've had quite a number of different eel species and found that they can be pretty readily contained by affixing artifical turf to the lip of the aquarium with the rough side out. When the eel is probing for an escape route, it will feel the rough turf and withdraw back into the tank rather than run its whole body along the rough surface.

This same trick works for cephalopods if you ever try those.
Magnus H.

#9 viridari

viridari
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

American Eel - The escape risk is indeed very high, but I've had quite a number of different eel species and found that they can be pretty readily contained by affixing artifical turf to the lip of the aquarium with the rough side out. When the eel is probing for an escape route, it will feel the rough turf and withdraw back into the tank rather than run its whole body along the rough surface.

Hey folks, I just got the latest American Currents in the mail and see that this was reprinted with credit to me. Thanks so much, I wish I could take credit, but the idea is not my innovation as the article alludes to. I found that the Baltimore Aquarium was using this method to keep cephalopods in open-topped tanks and on a hunch tried it out on my own eels with great success. I wish I could tell you who came up with that idea but I noticed it on a behind-the-scenes tour about 20 years ago and don't have any names to provide. I don't even know if they were the first to come up with it. But that's where I got it from.
Magnus H.

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

it makes sense that would work for octopus, since their suckers wouldnt grab well on astroturf, but why on earth does this deter american eels, which routinely slither over wet grass to climb around waterfalls ??

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#11 viridari

viridari
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

it makes sense that would work for octopus, since their suckers wouldnt grab well on astroturf, but why on earth does this deter american eels, which routinely slither over wet grass to climb around waterfalls ??

Wet grass is a completely different tactile sensation from turf. It's that same tactile sensation that deters cephalopods from proceeding. Not much can stop a determined octopus, and it's certainly not a matter of stopping his suckers from working.

Try brushing the soft surface of your inner arm across some artificial turf sometime and see how it feels. :mrgreen:
Magnus H.