Photo

Is there a way to cover a hook so a fish won't get caught?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:50 PM

I'm trying to figure out a good artificial lure for small sunfish so I don't have to carry bacon fat around when I'm fishing. I have six longears in an aquarium, and it makes sense to test lures on them, but I don't want to hook them. Is there something I could put over the hook tip? I considered styrofoam, but I think it might be too soft. 

Suggestions? 

#2 kirby007

kirby007
  • NANFA Guest
  • berea ky

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

Pretty sure they make hook covers for artificial lures to make them easier to store

#3 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

just snip it off

#4 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

I'll look into those hook covers, thanks.

I can't just snip the hook off of most of these, the hook is permanently fixed on/in the lure. I've already tested the rubber lures by just tying string on them and dropping them in the tank. 

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

Tie the line to the lure.No hook. Thread it trough if you need.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

and it makes sense to test lures on them

Sorry, but I have to be the one who says this is just silly.  Take a few lures to the great outdoors and throw them in the water with wild fish.  See what works and what doesn't.  If sunfish is your main target, small jigs or flies will work great.  No more carrying bacon fat in your pocket!

#7 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

Sorry, but I have to be the one who says this is just silly.  Take a few lures to the great outdoors and throw them in the water with wild fish.  See what works and what doesn't.  If sunfish is your main target, small jigs or flies will work great.  No more carrying bacon fat in your pocket!

I agree here.  Testing a lure on aquarium fish is silly.  I have a Coosa bass in an aquarium and he'll strike anything I throw in.  I don't think you'll be doing yourself any favors by trying to test this way.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#8 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

I agree, the best testing occurs in the field...

...unless you "know a guy":

Kevin Wilson

#9 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:08 AM

I put some earthworms in my sunfish tank earlier. The bigger fish got the worms immediately, and the smaller ones ate the bits of dirt and gravel that came off and were still sinking...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users