Photo

Belonesox Pike Livebearer in Florida

19 replies to this topic

#1 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

I'm looking for sites for Belonesox in Florida.  If you have sites for this species or leads on others who do, please share:  Mark Binkley 614-723-9082 jonah@jonahsaquarium.com  Thank you!

#2 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

Mark, I strongly recommend getting the Florida Collecting Guide if you don't already have a copy. Although I don't have specific sites, my experience with them was in the greater Naples area. They should be able to be found throughout South Florida.

#3 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

Thanks!  I've got the 2009, 3rd edition.  Is there a later edition that has more Belonesox sites?  I know that's a very specific question, but just throwing it out there.  Naples, huh?  Well that's a place to start!  Anyone have specific sites in Naples?  Thanks!

Mark

#4 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

OK, Doug Dame let me know there is one site in the latest Florida Collecting Guide for Belonesox.  It's south of Homestead FL.  Anyone know about specific sites in Naples or elsewhere?  Thank you!

Mark Binkley

jonah@jonahsaquarium.com

Talk & Text 614-723-9082

#5 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

The best way I know to find possible locations for exotic species is the USGS' Non-indigenous Aquatic Species database, found here. You can view a point-map for each species of interest, or browse the individual records. (Useful in assessing whether the fish are likely to still be there ... established, vs extirpated, etc.)

For Belonesox:

- 3 records from Hillsborough county

- many records from Collier County, mostly Big Cypress

- many many records from Broward-Dade - Everglades

- some scattered records from Monroe County  - could be SoFla or Keys, I didn't look to see what part/s of Monroe were involved.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#6 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

OK, Doug Dame let me know there is one site in the latest Florida Collecting Guide for Belonesox.  It's south of Homestead FL.  Anyone know about specific sites in Naples or elsewhere?  Thank you!

Mark Binkley

jonah@jonahsaquarium.com

Talk & Text 614-723-9082

Click this link: 

And then click on the tab labeled "Collection Location Map" 

I took data from fishnet2, and just through it in a google fusion table. Its dirty, but will work! Come to think of it, I bet this data is on Ryan's fishmap.org as well.  

#7 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Click this link: 

I took data from fishnet2, and just through it in a google fusion table. Its dirty, but will work! Come to think of it, I bet this data is on Ryan's fishmap.org as well.  

Awesome!  Perfect!  Thank you!  Will this remain active for a while or do I need to somehow download it today?  Is there an easy way to download?  I've never used this feature on Google.

Mark

#8 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

The best way I know to find possible locations for exotic species is the USGS' Non-indigenous Aquatic Species database, found here. You can view a point-map for each species of interest, or browse the individual records. (Useful in assessing whether the fish are likely to still be there ... established, vs extirpated, etc.)

For Belonesox:

- 3 records from Hillsborough county

- many records from Collier County, mostly Big Cypress

- many many records from Broward-Dade - Everglades

- some scattered records from Monroe County  - could be SoFla or Keys, I didn't look to see what part/s of Monroe were involved.

Thanks, Doug, I didn't think of that.  Good idea!

Mark

#9 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

Awesome!  Perfect!  Thank you!  Will this remain active for a while or do I need to somehow download it today?  Is there an easy way to download?  I've never used this feature on Google.

Mark

Google fusion tables are a part of their Drive Suite, and all I did was import the csv, that www.fishnet2.net creates after a search, to drive, and then shared the link with you. Google FT will automatically detect that the location information in the dataset are gps coordinates, and map it for you. I will leave that link active for at least a year, but I can't guarantee much more than that, so if you need it long term, I can walk you through setting it up on your own account. Just let me know, and good luck! 

#10 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Google fusion tables are a part of their Drive Suite, and all I did was import the csv, that www.fishnet2.net creates after a search, to drive, and then shared the link with you. Google FT will automatically detect that the location information in the dataset are gps coordinates, and map it for you. I will leave that link active for at least a year, but I can't guarantee much more than that, so if you need it long term, I can walk you through setting it up on your own account. Just let me know, and good luck! 

Great!  Thank you!  Can you send me the CSV file if you still have it:  jonah@jonahsaquarium.com  Or tell me the steps to acquire the data from www.fishnet2.net  Thank you very much!

Mark

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

Going to Florida soon Mark? Family trip or just fish? Need a passenger and net hand?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Going to Florida soon Mark? Family trip or just fish? Need a passenger and net hand?

Hey, Matt, I'll message you.

#13 dmarkley

dmarkley
  • NANFA Member
  • Lower Susquehanna River

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Mark Binkley

jonah@jonahsaquarium.com

Talk & Text 614-723-9082

I was in Naples back in January.  Go to: Big Bend Cypress Boardwalk, 27020 Tamiami Trail E, Naples, FL 34114.  There is a small stream flowing along to pathway near the entrance that has them swimming everywhere.

Susquehanna River Drainage

#14 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

I was in Naples back in January.  Go to: Big Bend Cypress Boardwalk, 27020 Tamiami Trail E, Naples, FL 34114.  There is a small stream flowing along to pathway near the entrance that has them swimming everywhere.

Awesome!  Thank you!

Mark

#15 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

Ok, so I'm looking at the Google Satellite view.  Is the stream and path north of the Tamiami trail or south of it?  If it's to the north, is it the apparent stream that runs along the path/road that goes northwest past the buildings?

Mark

Talk or Text 614-723-9082

#16 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

Click this link: 

Confirmed it is !

#17 dmarkley

dmarkley
  • NANFA Member
  • Lower Susquehanna River

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Ok, so I'm looking at the Google Satellite view.  Is the stream and path north of the Tamiami trail or south of it?  If it's to the north, is it the apparent stream that runs along the path/road that goes northwest past the buildings?

Mark

Talk or Text 614-723-9082

Yes, on the north side.

Susquehanna River Drainage

#18 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

Awesome!  Thanks!  Will a dipnet work?  Do I need a long handle?

#19 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

I dipnetted them in Honduras and they were really no more difficult to collect that Gambusia.  Once you are in them, they are abundant.  Granted, this may be different outside of their native habitat.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#20 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

I like the sound of that!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users