Missouri 2017

54 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

I'm famous in MO!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#22 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

Great work, Casper!

Looks like Michael is gonna have to be the featured model in the upcoming "Studs of NANFA" calendar...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#23 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Sweet!!!!!

Kevin Wilson

#24 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Cool. Nicely done, Casper.

#25 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Day 5 Gravel Bar Boil

That morning we rendezvoused at the Visitor Center and took a quick tour as folks gathered.  Lots of history, displays and quite a few photos of my hero's work, Dr. Roston, the grandfather of freshwater photography.
The day before Michael and i had come up with a plan to hike a spring run all the way to the river, checking out different pools of clear spring water for unique species.  But later that evening several people expressed the desire to tag along on the adventure.  That site did not offer conditions for a mass movement of humanity so to be fair we lead the snorkel group back to Indian Creek, the beautiful site from the day before.  Convenient, plenty of thrashing feets and elbow room, clear water, spawning fish and good parking for all, eventually becoming a 5 or 7 vehicle caravan.  Upon arrival, and again driving through the purple hued tree bracketed entry way Cyan, Michael and i parked and hotfooted upstream to the Bleeding Shiner site and spent the first early morning hour enjoying it.  As the others slowly meandered about eventually working their ways upstream i advanced even further scouting for more sites and was pleased to observe several active Rock Bass nests near a log jam.  I was almost to the bridge when i saw Josh beelining towards me and upon arrival told me the local Sheriff had evicted our clan of river snorkelers.  I didn't fret none too much and slow walked back snorkeling here and there as the time was almost our designated departure time anyway.  The color purple is not a nice color in MO land and the 2 bracketing trees were marked with long faded paint.  I thought about returning with a fresh coat of blue paint and marking the trees "FREE RIVER PARKING".

09-Indian.JPG

Harvest at the weir.

10-RostonFrog.JPG

Dr. Roston's nearly famous photo.

11-Cyan.JPG

Cyan amongst the Shiners and Minnows.

12-MegaShiners.JPG

The Bleeders were going strong in the cooler morning hours, Ozark minnows by their sides.  As the morning warmed the activity seemed to diminish.

13-RockBassNest.JPG

This was a great nest i wish the Sheriff had not pulled me from. Rock Bass i think as opposed to Ozarks. Shadows to my south at home.

14-Culvert.JPG

After leaving Indian Creek we had enough time to check out the spring run again.  Being already wet it was an easy dip and dunk for a few minutes.  Much colder than the Indian though.

15-Thermo.JPG

64 brrrr.

16-Orangethroat.JPG

Orangethroat in the chill.

17-SRBD.JPG

Southern Redbellies too, and Creek Chubs.  Crayfish.  It would have been a fun adventure to do that snorkel walkabout.

18-Vantage.JPG

Our vantage point looking up to the culverts.

19-Furnace.JPG
Close by were these furnace ruins.

The Gravel Bar Boil was awesome.  I have included several pictures of attending folks on the forum under "Fishheads of Missouri" located here...

20-jetBoat.JPG

Getting there via Jet Boat, a high speed, up river run.  Hold on!

21-Canoe.JPG

Cyan and Michael made the float down from upriver.  I rested my behind and waited in the cool shade.  I heard they made a great team.  Thank you Michael. :)

22-StudScott.JPG

Iowa Scott caught him a high falutin' Yankee Studfish.

23-TimsMerramec.JPG

Michigan Bob came with a Meramec.

24-Sprawlers.JPG

Gravel bar sprawlers dining on corn, taters, shrimps, sausages, pies, cakes and cookies..

25-GravelBarGroup.JPG

After the feeding i urged Bob to assemble the group for one massive photo as the sun lowered and just before the canoes and boats departed.

What a wonderful day it was!

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#26 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Great report and photos again Casper!  Thanks for sharing.

Kevin Wilson

#27 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

Nice photos. That was a fun day.

#28 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:01 AM

Nice group shot! I admire the patience of those who wrangled us all together for it. I won't say it was like herding cats, but not far off!
Matt Knepley

#29 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Nice group shot! I admire the patience of those who wrangled us all together for it. I won't say it was like herding cats, but not far off!

Herding redhorse?
Herding buffalos?
Herding stonerollers?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#30 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:20 PM

All I know is it was a good thing we were stuffed to capacity with some quality eats or we would've scattered...
Matt Knepley

#31 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

I discovered a product embracing 2 of Chattanooga's cultural culinary icons recently.

Being appreciative of their 2 case baked fresh pie donations to NANFA over the years i delivered a carton, waffle cones and a scoop to the Moon Pie Lady at the Chattanooga Bakery this Halloween morning.

Surprisingly most of them had not tried it.

MoonPie.jpg

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#32 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Day 6 Talks

Bob had found a nice meeting room for us complete with a kitchen, room to stretch and storage areas.  It was located at the end of a dead end road next to the state park's "hotel" that many attendees stayed at.
I will let others relay the various talks but i enjoyed all of them.  Cyan and i sat in the back of the room hawking NANFA goods while Olaf sat next to us promoting his wonderful NANFA Missouri shirts. ( Some sizes still available at NANFA's store, www.nanfa.org. )
Later on they brought in and spread out an excellent banquet dinner and even later the auction concluded.  My item of regret is not winning the metal sculpted darter fish seen on the table corner, created with fire by Bob's son Chris.
I heard the auction was a big success financially.
We appreciated all the different speakers throughout the day and the dinner cooks and auction folks late into the night.
I was worn out after 3 or 4 days of snorkeling and to bed early i went.

BobTalk2.JPG

Casper Cox

#33 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Day 7 Snorkeling at Blue Springs Creek

This is all fading from my memory but some highlights in reviewing my photos were the clear water, fine weather, the Meramec Saddled Darter Brawl, laying in a shallow run full of Fantails, Sculpins, Rainbows and Crays and ending the beautiful day by driving to Cuba for some of Missouri Hick's excellent BBQ.

20-Brawl1.JPG

21-Brawl2.JPG

23-Brawl3.JPG

24-Brawl4.JPG

The Brawl.  

25-BrawlIsaac.JPG

Isaac tried to work his magic on this one photo.  My TG4 continues to befuddle me... with great frustration.
I have some video of the fight but it is time consuming to edit on my old XP.  It was a pretty dang good show overall.  Michael had first caught glimpse of the fight in a shallow run and he gave me space to ease in, allowing me to film and observe about 10 minutes of continuous fighting.

26-Michael.JPG

Michael floating over a nice pool of Hogsuckers.  We walked quite a ways upstream in the small spring run, finding lots to observe in each pool deep enough to lay in.  It was very pretty back in the meandering, canopied stream.  Several log jams offered scoured plunge pools, ideal for snorkeling views.

27-Meramec.JPG

A nice, clean shot of a beautiful Meramec Saddled Darter, probably the most impressive species i encountered on the trip.
Hum, maybe i should rethink that...
:)

28-Cray.JPG

29-CrayClaws.JPG

Plenty of Crayfish.  These were well marked.

30-Rainbow.JPG

Probably a Rainbow, though perhaps a Orangethroat?  Red on the anal fin = Rainbow.

We eventually walked back to the main stream and drove upstream, parking near the highway well past the bridge.  Several NANFA members were dipnetting and seining the area up and down from the bridge but i walked alone to a quiet area and found a nice, sunlit, shallow run absolutely full of Sculpins, Rainbows and Crays but mostly exciting were the male Fantails displaying with confidence.

31-Scuplins3.JPG

A trio of camoed Sculpins.

32-Fantail.JPG

Handsome Fantail.

33-HandFan.JPG

Dead or stunned?  I came across this guy, perhaps beat down by his opponent.  You can really see his egg mimics telling the ladies just how good he can care for her eggs.

34-TrioDarterCatchers.JPG

Having enough and the day cooling i went back upstream where the others were assembled.  Tyler was demonstrating his Darter catching skills and hand holding the fish urging them to flare their fins in full glory.  He has his swishing technique well established.

35-Billboard.JPG

36-Route66.JPG

37-Vittles.JPG

Having had a full day we drove to Cuba to get some of the fine BBQ offered at Missouri Hicks.  It's a neat town so afterwards we drove around a bit exploring.  Cuba embraces the culture and tourism of being right on route 66.

Another great day!

Also noted were Greensides, SRBD, Hogsuckers galore.  Bleeding Shiners.  I can't recall others but certainly there were many more.

Here is a link to the attending Missouri Fishheads, including some encountered this particular day...

Casper Cox

#34 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

Great photos and memories.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#35 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Casper!  This is another great update and a fantastic advertisement for the world of snorkeling!

#36 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for posing! The darter brawl video was definitely a fascinating thing to watch. The color commentary provided was pretty humorous, even if there wasn't a play-by-play announcer. The Gilts in the Meramec may have been my favoritest of the fishes in the convention proper,the Brooks on the way home give them run for their money though. So many other fish so worthy of being "favorites". Plenty of other creatures, too. Added a couple more ticks to my birding life list and won't ever forget chasing the world's most pacifist skunk down the campground road with Beaman.

Missouri was a lot of fun; I look forward to GA.
Matt Knepley

#37 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Day 8 Huzzah

10-Bank.JPG

We caravaned early to a marked parking area and walked a narrow trail leading to a high precarious bank.
The river was clear, wide, shallow and clean cobbled.

11-Slider.JPG

Quick caught view of a Slider belly.

12-Gilts.JPG

I hiked upstream exploring the long shallow runs and found a riffle dam that was full of Gilt Darters and loggies.  I see the Gilts back at home too.  Odd how so many Missouri fish hop the Mississippi creating distinct populations.  Several species do that from the Ozarks skipping over to the Tennessee drainage.

13-Pancake.JPG

Little animated Flapjack.

14-Snorkelers.JPG

The river was running too shallow to snorkel many places but this log offered a nice scoured out area.  Lots of fish were using its structure including some Meramecs.  We could not keep our head in long as a lot of time was spent staying alert dodging all the canoe and raft traffic.  I thought that odd being it was a Monday but folks were enjoying the pretty day.

15-SculpinMask.JPG

Sculpin in the mask.

16-Sculpin.JPG

Back in his lair.

17-Gang.JPG

We enjoyed a nice picnic, warming in the sunshine and gathered our stuff for our walk out.  It was a beautiful day.  I think Isaac missed our lunch break as he had headed way downstream to the juncture of the river.

18-BleederGirl.JPG

Waving to the Bleeding Shiner.

19-ShinyGal.JPG

Hot colors still.

Hiking out i decided not to climb the steep, precarious bank figuring i would cut thru the woods to our vehicles.  Big mistake, no trail and the stinging neetles were waist high blocking access to the parking area.  By the time i got out i was ON FIRE and freaking out as the burn was so intense.  Much more intense than the nettles back home.  I was begging for anything to relieve the burn.  Skin lotion, toothpaste, anything to rub on.  Linda gave me something and it graciously brought relief.  I will never walk through a patch like that again.

20-Girls.JPG

We stopped at Blue Springs for another quick look and checked out the local's stone stacking zone.
It had been a full day, the sun was getting low and we were all quite hungry.  We voted for another dinner at Missouri Hicks, which was just as good as the evening before.

Casper Cox

#38 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for sharing!!! The Longear from day 1 is remarkable, I hope there are some like that on my side of the border.

The darter brawl photos are outstanding.
Tyler Elting -  Intersection of the Saline, Smoky Hill and Solomon Rivers, Kansas
"Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" -Matthew 4:19

#39 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

I made the same shortcut through nettles mistake, too, Casper. Only they weren't quite so high or thick as yours. Burn like crazy. Fortunately, flowing water dulled the pain fairly quickly and as the nettles stood between me and a stream, it worked out ok. Definitely took a more cautious route out, though! My first and hopefully last experience with that stuff.

I don't recall getting into any at the sites Bob picked out for us; it was mostly when we were doing some independent adventuring...
Matt Knepley

#40 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Hum...the map Hrabik provided to the snorkel team had walking trails clearly marked directly through vast stands of nettles.

Rubbing cool water on burning legs does near nothing in my experiences.  Lotion, anything pasty, maybe even a peanut butter milkshake might could possibly offer relief during frantic desperation.  These Missouri nettles were far more severe than anything i've encountered elsewhere.  Next time you see a patch of the scourge, carefully hold a leaf up to the sky and inspect the underside.  Zillions of little hypodermic needles!  Do you know they are edible?  It takes a good bit of rinsing and boiling i suspect.

I never get tired of seeing proud Longear Sunfish.  There are several varieties scattered across North America including that Mohawk fella in OK.

I was very disappointed with the darter battle.  I keep having issues with all the variable settings.  I may try and do some video editing if time permits. 

Casper Cox

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users