Photo

Missouri 2017

54 replies to this topic

#41 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:50 PM

Not rubbing the cool water; standing in it and letting the water continually flow over.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#42 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

Posting...

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#43 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

Seems that nettle is worse during drought. I suspect when it is stressed it bumps up its defense. Glad it only lasts a short time, that pain would be hard to deal with any longer.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#44 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:08 PM

In my neck of the woods jewelweed grows in the same place as nettles. A hand full of leaves mashed up to get the juices flowing will provide relief from the burn.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#45 elting44

elting44
  • Regional Rep
  • Salina, KS

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

In my neck of the woods jewelweed grows in the same place as nettles. A hand full of leaves mashed up to get the juices flowing will provide relief from the burn.

With my luck it'd wind up being a handful of poison ivy 😨
Tyler Elting -  Intersection of the Saline, Smoky Hill and Solomon Rivers, Kansas
"Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" -Matthew 4:19

#46 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

Jewelweed is correct.  When mashed up the leaves develop into a waxy, aloe salve.  The 2 plants often grow in close proximity to one another and should never be confused with "Leaves 3, Let it be".

Jewelweed has pretty and architecturally interesting orange flowers.  They develop into tiny, narrow seed pods that explode upon touch.  Put on your tiny safety glasses.

I would have needed a big handful of mashed leaves to find relief that day.  I was near panic.

Onto the next day of adventure when most NANFans had left for home...

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#47 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

Day 9 Big Indian Creek

Tuesday morning the convention was over for most everyone but Host Bob, his buddy Matt Ormsby the MDC Naturalist ( who spoke at the convention ), Michael, Isaac, Cyan and myself wanted another day in the water and so choose a different site on Big(?) Indian Creek.  It was a fine, blue sky day and 3 of us immediately immersed in the water while Bob and Matt worked their seine downstream.  Just above the bridge was a cobbled, cascading run that hosted a small mound of active Bleeders.  Michael and i worked it for a good while...

10-Spawn.JPG

Hot spawners still.

11-Bones.JPG

Michael's knobby knee bones shadowed beyond the active mound.

12-SplitView.JPG

The mound was cobbled against one of the larger stones in the cascading run.  As the day warmed the mound became less active, Ozarks included.  Longears were seemingly feeding on any exposed eggs.  

13-GarPair.JPG

Michael headed upstream while i was content to work the run.  As i pivoted and peered back upstream i saw a large odd shape coming fast towards me in the shallow run.  I had the camera handy and snapped this image just as they passed.  The appearance of them racing towards me is burned in my brain, very inspiring as they rode the shallow current.  I never tire of encountering these prehistoric beasts.

14-Host-MOBob.JPG

Bob and Matt had returned from their downstream seining and all of us enjoyed a bit of fellowship at the Under the Bridge Lunch Box Diner.  They had kept a few of their seine catchings and shared them with us, show and tell style.  Matt had a sweet cooler setup for transporting them to their office.

15-MeramecHand.JPG

Meramec Saddled Darter, a primo male.

16-IndianCreekGangof5.JPG

The Seine and Snorkel Team.  Cyan, our photographer, had been content to sit under the bridge and draw while we were dipping, pulling, wading and / or breathing through plastic tubes.

17-Nests.JPG

The Swallows were most active during the morning but quieted as the day progressed.  The surrounding white rings are depleted Dobsonfly egg cases.

18-MichaelTurtle.JPG

Bob and Matt needed to return to their homes, Isaac was debating his options with a hot cat status but Michael and i were still a go so we headed downstream, making quite an adventure of it, walking the wide vast gravel beds skipping to the next pools.  We stopped at many sites deep enough to snorkel and found lots of activity including many guarded Chub mounds, several disturbed by the seiner's recent activity.  It had been a good year for the Nocomis.  A slider encountered, this one missing a foot.

19-MichaelSnorkelCabin.JPG

About a mile or so we came across this getaway huntin' & fishin' cabin.  We left a note on the antlered door and are planning the next Missouri Gathering accordingly, lodging on the Indian Creek, the big one.

20-NestSun.JPG

Working back upstream we came across several nice sun saucers.  As the days warm the more the Sunfish seem to shine and spawn.

21-Longear.JPG

Handsome fella.

22-Hog.JPG

Mr. Hog, obviously hoping i don't see him.

23-BSTM.JPG

Black Spotted TM.  They were along the quiet banks, the rocks below covered with a lush, green moss.  A big snapper turtle was there too but he lodged himself deep in the riprap.  I tried to gently pull him out but could not get any decent photos, only one of his warty hiney.

24-Purple.JPG
Getting back to our vehicle we stopped by our first site of eviction and snapped the faded purple for evidence against us.

25-SignSt.JPG

Here is another unfriendly sign at a nearby crossroads...
Obviously i was breaking the law with this documentation.

26-Sign.JPG

A nicer sign of the fine hospitality granted to near all of the 2018 NANFA attendees.
At our CCC Cabin only Michael, Cyan and i remained.  Lucas has stopped by but missed a fine dinner of our many dining options including shrimp, sausage, corn and taters left over from the Gravel Bar Boil.  Doing so we cleaned out the refrigerator to our satisfaction.

The adventure continues...

Casper Cox

#48 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:45 PM

Great photos and storytelling as always, Casper. It's nice to be reminded of those fun adventures and see some of the things I missed.

#49 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

Day 10   St. Louis   June 14 2017

Nothing too fishy today, having let Cyan decide how to spend our Wednesday.  With Nick and family's motivating suggestion we arrived at the St. Louis Zoo first thing in the morning.  We enjoyed nearly the full day there and i highly recommend a visit.
In the late afternoon we enjoyed ribs and pulled pork sliders at Pappy's Smokehouse.  A fella was working the line and urged me to order the ribs.  I replied "Ribs were chancy" so he brought me a sample.  Mighty fine Memphis style so i altered my order.  Turns out it was "Pappy" himself and he ended up sitting with us and treating Cyan and i to extra drinks and dessert.  Pappy, aka Mike, and i were both born in Memphis and enjoyed memories of the city, Mike told of his BBQ beginnings and i how snorkeling clear water had brought me to MO.  Turns out he has a vacation home overlooking a swim-able spring run in North Arkansas.
After the fine BBQ and as the sun was setting we arrived at the graceful, elegant Gateway Arch to the West.  Enjoying several various vantage viewings we eventually descended into the underground museum, watched a neat film about the construction, which was completed in my youth during1965.  We wandered the expansive gift shop picking out gifts for home.  Upon coming back outside it was dark, lightning in the far west, providing a bonus view of the impressive Arch.

10-CCC.JPG

Our CCC cabin.  It was the oldest constructed in the park, but not the most attractive.  It provided a very comfortable dwelling for the 4 of us.

11-Buffalo.JPG

Buffalo and Gar near the boating disaster.

12-Longears.JPG

Missouri Longears in the open Zoo tanks.

13-Morels.JPG

Both Morels and a Devil Dog in one diorama.  One living and the others paint.

14-Bowfin.JPG

Petrified Bowfin.

15-Snapper.JPG

Brass Snapper.

16-Softshell.JPG

Sandstone Softshell.

17-DayArch2.JPG

The graceful Arch.

18-TwilightArch.JPG

Twilight.

19-NightArch2.JPG

Into the night sky, electrical storm rising.

From St. Louis we drove south to a cheap motel near potential snorkel sites for the following day.

Casper Cox

#50 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

Quite possibly the happiest lookin' snapper I've ever seen...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#51 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

Day 11   Coldwater   June 15 2017

Awaking in Fredrickson and after another attempted visit to the Cobalt Mines i retraced several highways and back roads to a gravel bar site i had camped at for 3 days after the first MO convention and later returned to during a MOAR wander several years ago.  I made a 45 minute DVD of that trip.

10-DognSuds.JPG

I was looking forward to treating Cyan to a lunch of Dogs n Sudsy root beer, a Chicago childhood memory of mine, but this Cherokee Pass location had closed since my last visit.

11-Countryside.JPG

The countryside is quite beautiful along this stretch of the St. Francis River.

12-Columns.JPG

The river itself was uninviting, in an agricultured murky condition.  The banks were littered with big mussel shells from a recent flood event.  While camping here years ago i had boiled a big mussel as a campcooktest.  It had the texture of a rubber shoe and tasted about the same i would suspect.  Dicing and a handful of herbs may make a difference if one ever wants to give it a survivalist culinary try.
Leaving the river Cyan and i backtracked to the highway, parked and walked under the overpass to the creek, she drawing and myself snorkeling several stretches of Coldwater Creek.

13-Husk.JPG

The columns were covered in hatched husks of flying critters.

14-Columns-UW.JPG

Lots of fish beneath them Shiners, Darters and Chubs, but i was eager to find active mounds.

15-Frog.JPG

I hand caught this docile frog after he hopped into the cool water.

16-Habitat.JPG

I walked upstream using a dried overflow run to the old highway crossing where concrete remnants remained.  I entered an adjacent pool.

17-Bleeders.JPG

More Bleeders over an old Chub Mound, already silted.  I could find no Chub nearby.

18-ChubNest.JPG

Walking back downstream all the mounds encountered appeared inactive.  After looking at a dozen or so, Cyan and i loaded up and headed south to various bridges using the MO Gazeer as a guide.  At a small creek crossing i found a green field with cooling shade, parked and descended down and into the cool, clear creek flowing beneath the bridge.  Very beautiful and i quickly eyed a fresh clean Chub mound to my pleasure.  The two hours developed into an eventful site full of sunlit activity.

19-YawningChub.JPG

The Chub yawns.  One mound and one male and female for this entire stretch leaving them content to spawn alone.  Though not active the male observed my every approach to his mound offering fleeting broadside views.  If i added or moved a stone he would inspect my actions, becoming ever bolder with his monitoring.

20-LongearSky.JPG

Beyond the bridge in the shallow gravel flats were Sunfish guarding their nests.  This particular Longear allowed several close shots.

21-Longear.JPG

The proud Male.

22-Green.JPG

A Green Meanie lurking in the shadows.

23-Hog.JPG

Resting Hoggie beneath the bridge.

24-BSTopMinnow.JPG

Blackspotted Topminnow cruising the shallow backwater eddies.

After a couple hours i climbed out and was enjoying the last of Pappy's smoked ribs when a jeep passed, backed up and pulled in beside me.  I don't understand why i encountered so many agitated property owners on this trip but even with me standing there smiling, in dripping wet snorkel gear, eating a BBQ rib, my daughter happily reading in the shade, on a beautiful sunny day, no purple marks nor signs of denial posted, the local Jeepster made it known, in no uncertain terms, we were not welcome.
However in my favor i had already reached satisfaction for the day.  Cyan and i leisurely continued wandering South, arriving in Sikeston and enjoyed a dinner a Lambert's "Home of the Throwed Rolls", found a motel and visited the local theater for a Mummy movie.

25-OH-MS.JPG

The next morning we soon found ourselves at the juncture of the Ohio and Mighty Mississippi Rivers.  The park has seen better days but it still offers pleasant views and picnicing.  Hoards of Gar were spotted in a nearby backwater area.

26-Bridge.JPG

Homeward bound we crossed into a new state and soon passed a fish market.  I turned around and purchased fresh Buffalo, Gar along with an oddity, Fishdogs, made right there on site.  They are still in the freezer, perhaps awaiting grilling at the next cement pond pool party.

Another full day of driving brought us home, to our own beds and wife and Mother Connie.

12 days of Missouri adventures with my daughter Cyan along and bracketing NANFA's excellent 2017 Missouri convention.

Casper Cox

#52 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:54 AM

Been hoping this yarn would get tied up. Thanks. But next time you need to get snorkeling with the hoards of gar at the end. 

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#53 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

I enjoyed the entire report, from start to finish, rehashing what I read before along with your new posts.  Well done, as usual, Casper.  Thanks for sharing again!

Kevin Wilson

#54 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Olaf and Charles.

It was a wonderful opportunity and i'm forever grateful to Bob Hrabik for hosting such a great convention... his 2nd NANFA MO convention.

The Gar pool was very murky and the banks mushy.  I observed from afar but here is a photo.  Unsure if the rez will show them but there were an estimated hundred about 1' long, you can see some short Gar "sticks" close to the bank.  I can see a few along with the turtle and dead fish.

From here it was homeward bound wearing dry clean clothes.

Attached Images

• Gar.JPG

Casper Cox

#55 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Cool! I always want to find small gar like that, but I never have. Lots of large ones, but the young-of-the-year always elude me.

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users