Couple of darter ID questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

Recently spent some time dipnetting a swampy area adjacent to the Ohio River in western KY and found several darter species. Slough darters (which I believe is the first darter pic) were the most common by far but I also found a few pockets of the other darters pictured. Not 100% on these and the picture quality isn't want I wanted but I thought I'd give the board a shot at them.

Attached File  image.jpeg   166.79KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   77.96KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   59.28KB   0 downloads

FWIW the second darter was larger and pretty bulky. Similar in body habitus to an adult rainbow darter by comparison. The 3rd was less than an inch and there were pockets of these in decent numbers. I question cypress darter but not sure given the size.

Appreciate any thoughts.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

I wouldn't argue with slough darter. The second I suspect is asprigene. I've only seen mud darter on a couple trips.That color!  The last one is way beyond my guesses.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Matt I think you are right on #2. Habitat is consistent with this as well. Looks like this fish has the potential to color up quite nicely if the timing is right.

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Sorry, I wasn't referring to potential spawning color Jason, rather the really distinct, what gun metal gray? It is pretty different from most species. That is what clicked my memory of southern Illinois mud darters. We worked hard to find them and the image stuck. Cool finds. I would like to spend some time in western Kentucky some day.

#5 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

#3 Not sure about the red spot on the neck, but otherwise it looks like a bluntnose darter.

http://www.dan-johns...ose_darter.html

#6 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

The second darter might be a spottail darter, E. squamiceps, with those dots at the base of the tail. And they can get surprisingly big. The third one is whatever the local simoterum-complex species is, I forget off the top of my head for that area.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#7 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

The second darter might be a spottail darter, E. squamiceps, with those dots at the base of the tail. And they can get surprisingly big. The third one is whatever the local simoterum-complex species is, I forget off the top of my head for that area.

I don't think sqamiceps has the color in the dorsal.  The bottom one does appear to be a juvi snubnose.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#8 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Sorry, I wasn't referring to potential spawning color Jason, rather the really distinct, what gun metal gray? It is pretty different from most species. That is what clicked my memory of southern Illinois mud darters. We worked hard to find them and the image stuck. Cool finds. I would like to spend some time in western Kentucky some day.

Lots of diversity here in the coastal plain. Not unlike some of the areas you've sampled in southern Illinois around Horseshoe Lake Let me know when you're in the area and we can maybe hit some spots.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:04 PM

Thank you. I will contact you if the opportunity arises.

#10 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Put me down for any west KY trips.  I have had some very cool collecting experiences there!

#11 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Have GPS, will travel. I've never been to that area and am eager to go. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#12 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

Have GPS, will travel. I've never been to that area and am eager to go. 

Hey, Doug, why have we not got together since you have been in Ohio?!  You're still in Ohio, right...?

#13 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Short answer: nowhere to put any fish. I'm working on making a fish room, but it's a slow process. (I was going to say "deliberate", but just plain old "slow" probably fits better.) I only have 2 tanks set up so far. 

But regardless of that, I do need to get out and start learning the fish of this area.

Funny you should ask. I was rummaging around in the garage looking at gear 30 minutes ago, and noticed that I have two net heads, but no pole ... I must have left that back in Florida.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#14 itsme

itsme
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

Short answer: nowhere to put any fish. I'm working on making a fish room, but it's a slow process. (I was going to say "deliberate", but just plain old "slow" probably fits better.) I only have 2 tanks set up so far. 

But regardless of that, I do need to get out and start learning the fish of this area.

Funny you should ask. I was rummaging around in the garage looking at gear 30 minutes ago, and noticed that I have two net heads, but no pole ... I must have left that back in Florida.

Hey. I'll email or text you.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users