Photo

Would Gambusia affinis be good tank mates with Jordanella floridae?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie

Jamie
  • NANFA Guest
  • TX

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:50 AM

Hello,

I have planted up a 20g with lots of plants from my local river and springs (Ludwigia spp; Myriophyllum heterophyllum, Bacopa monnieri; Potamogeton illinoensis; Hydrocotyle verticillata; Polygonum hydropiperoides; Sagittaria platyphylla; Eleocharis acicularis; Lobelia cardinalis. Plus I added Echinodorus cordifolius "Harbich" and E. tenellus commercially grown.)

I plan to keep some Flagfish and am wondering if Gambusia affinis, which I can net out of my river all day long, would do well with the Jordanella? Anyone have any experience with this combination? Happy to have the Flagfish as the main attraction, just thought a shoal of other fish might add something.

Thank you in advance.

#2 Lucania200

Lucania200
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2022 - 03:20 PM

I would say it would probably depend on the temperament of the G. affinis. Mine have always been peaceful, but I know some people have had some really aggressive ones.

#3 Jamie

Jamie
  • NANFA Guest
  • TX

Posted 25 May 2022 - 05:18 PM

Lucania200 - thanks.

#4 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 27 May 2022 - 03:16 PM

Contrary to what Lucania said, I've never had luck with Gambusia.  If you value your fishes' fins, I'd steer clear.   They are some of the fin-nippiest fish I've even seen.  They even managed to rid fast-moving minnows of caudal fins in one of my larger tanks.  They were promptly removed.

Willie P

#5 Jamie

Jamie
  • NANFA Guest
  • TX

Posted 04 July 2022 - 11:34 AM

Thank you both for your advice. I think I'll steer clear of them and concentrate on my Flagfish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users