collecting equipment dos and donts

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

I believe we need this thread for newbie collectors who have been having problems collecting different things

licence- always have one keep it in good condition if its falling apart most wildlife agents do tend to get mad and believe it or not these people are out to help wildlife not ruin your fun
get both state licences if collecting on borders rivers and creeks dont have state crossing signs

tech and care-
aquarium salt(or in a jam stress coat) is a must
snacks are not needed but can be helpful remember not to litter
maps are needed I cant tell you how many times people get lost when collecting
waders if cold are needed I have been collecting without waders in water which had floating ice in it cold is
UNDERSTATEMENT and hypotheria is no joke

nets-
remember when to use a siene and when to use a dipnet
when to use a siene
large creeks where the water is over 3 feet in depth has clear areas(few logs rocks sand bars...)
when to use a dipnet
large amounts of rocks or small streams where a siene would be to bulky or straight over kill or when you are targeting a dipnet species(gobys darters lampery eels burbot....)

Transpotion of fish
have a good well washed bucket I perfer the standard 5 gallon bucket but I know people who use coolers and smaller buckets) airation if needs should be on hand a standard bait air pump and a fresh bartery should be good for day trips
and remember review local endangered species and local collection laws

thats all from me everyones welcome to add more

pm me if you want some more info

sorry for and typos its been a long day :D

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

This covers alot of bases Robert. I am anxious to see what others have to add.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

thanks mattI supose I hit a few basics
I plan on adding technics to this thread later

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

Nice write up. Maybe I can find some of those pickerel and sailfin shiners in my backyard. I've seen both species once in the 8 or so years I've been collecting out in that creek with a seine. I've never really thought about using one before. I usually use nets, but I have a wide open creek, so maybe it will be useful.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

I can add a few off the top of my head -
Bring enough drinking water,
don't place blind faith in maps of an area you've never visited before,
don't let drunk locals try to stomp copperheads near the stream (for real!).

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

true also remember alligators are not people friendly when you see one enter the water dont hop in the water even if you do see that nice 6 inch male sailfin mollie

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:38 AM

don't let drunk locals try to stomp copperheads near the stream (for real!).

I'm sure there's an interesting story behind this one!

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:31 AM

Know when and where it is legal to use any type of sampling gear.

If your state allows duplicate licenses - get one and laminate it.

Leave nothing but your footprints.

Decontaminate if you are in a state with VHS, whirling, or didymo!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

Only take what is within your means to properly care for and house.

Do not take a fish from a locality where they are rare or not common. Enjoy them in your net then let them go.

Remember that when you are collecting you are in these fishes house. Treat it and them with respect while you are visiting.

#10 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

Clean the water chesnut seeds and any other plant parts out of your nets before moving on to the next pond!

Don't dump your bucket from one body of water into another.

Avoid conflicts with landowners. Obviously don't tresspass where posted, but also don't walk through yards, across planted fields etc. Shut all gates.

Avoid conflicts with anglers. Dragging a seine upstream of a fisherman is not the way to make friends.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

Drinking water and snacks - I agree. I also take along a backpack with complete camping gear in case I get caught out late and far from home. That pack is in my truck at all times.

Come to think of it, collecting is just an excuse for me to go camping. Also, a guitar is part of my mandatory collecting gear. It just doesn't get any better!

#12 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:14 AM

Drinking water and snacks - I agree. I also take along a backpack with complete camping gear in case I get caught out late and far from home. That pack is in my truck at all times.

Come to think of it, collecting is just an excuse for me to go camping. Also, a guitar is part of my mandatory collecting gear. It just doesn't get any better!

I am ready to come down and go camping, errr ummm collecting with ya Irate.

#13 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

I am ready to come down and go camping, errr ummm collecting with ya Irate.

Hey Pat? I'll come collect with you anyday! By the way, the redfin pickerels you gave me back in June are big, fat and happy!

Dean

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

I hope y'all both come down. During warm weather. I've entertained visitors from as far away as Germany. And PA, but never again in the Winter! Froze my @ss off, and Ed was as comfortable as a tick on a sheep dog.

#15 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

Specific links to known-good equipment would be helpful.

I haven't gotten my feet wet in a few years and am anxious to get back out there but I need to replace some missing or worn out gear. Would rather get something that someone else already has and likes.

#16 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

I was reminded of this tonight...if you're going to be out after dark get a good quality Led Head Lamp like a Petzl. They are invaluable and hardly weigh anything.

#17 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

I was reminded of this tonight...if you're going to be out after dark get a good quality Led Head Lamp like a Petzl. They are invaluable and hardly weigh anything.

Just got one of these......A "Petzl Zoom" (not LED it is much brighter) for Christmas, ordered the AA battery converter last week too. Seems like it is just the ticket. I bought a headlamp last year from Dick's Sporting Goods (the comouflage one), only to have if go kaput about 20 minutes into a night collecting excursion in the Red River Gorge. That was very disappointing. I took that back for an exchange. A couple of months later, I had the opportunity to go back to the Red River Gorge and again the headlamp went out with no apparent cause within 15 minutes. I think it is best to either have a back up, or invest the money in a good headlamp, like a Petzl, so you are not stuck 2 1/2 hours from home with no proper light source!

-Thom

#18 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

OOOO! A digital camera would be a nice thing to bring too, so we can all see the fun other members are having! I finally bought one today, no more borrowing. It's a Fujifilm FinePix s700. Seems like it has all the gizmos I'll need.
-Thom

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

I have a couple of headlights I use. I like the new Petzl e+ (or something like that) for backpacking - weighs less than an ounce. I have a couple of generic headlamps (I like the batteries to go behind he head) for night collecting.

#20 Guest_Garyoutlaw_*

Guest_Garyoutlaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

Footwear Nothing will make you show your pigs some love like catching a nasty case of Gangrene after stomping on a piece of glass in a cruddy little cattle drainage. Even in water I know well I still try to wade with shoes that have some meat on the souls. I also make it a point to have a pair of dry shoes & fresh clean socks for the ride home.

Collecting tools
I may be new to the game but this is how I roll my wild collected fish out - A few years ago I bought an original oxigenator system and after keeping big Gizzard Shad alive in a bait tank for 2 days I knew this was the best I could do for transporting live Fish. I try to keep Styro's and plastic bags in the trunk. I have also became a rock hound so have started to pack the canvas recycle bags to huff a pile of rocks back home for new projects.

Attached Images

• s7_015900_999_01.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users