Bowfins in missouri>?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

Hi I am new here...I am really interested in keeping bowfin in my tank...I live in missouri, in Kansas city to be more specific...I do some collecting of my own when ever I go to creeks etc...so far I have minnows...darter and a longear...but I have been looking for a small bowfin to keep in a tank of its own...and cant find any...was wondering if its legal in missouri to purchase a bowfin (from out of state) like from a vendor here or any of the member here?

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

I hate to be the one to tell you this but as I understand the law, Bowfin are prohibited in Missouri. Please don't take my word for it and contact the appropriate state official. I'm not sure which division you should contact to be honest but if you need help please keep in touch as I'm sure many here would be interested to see where this leads as well as provide further assistance if needed.

I sure hope I'm wrong.

#3 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hey Hi Teleost...thanks for referring me to this forum...what a great place!...
I thought I read somewhere Bowfin is native to missouri but more in the southern part of it...not sure...

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

Welcome bearkookums.

Bowfin are certainly native to Missouri but the laws in Missouri have recently changed. I'm reffering to hard work others have put into finding this information but I can't find the source.

Bowfin in Missouri tend to be along the Mississippi and it's varoius backwaters as well as the lowland in the southeastern portion of the state. I do know of some spots loaded with Bowfin around the St. Louis area.

I'm glad you like the forum. I just wish I could give you good news about keeping Bowfin.

#5 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:01 PM

Man I was at Springfield's WOW(wonders of wildlife)...and saw in one of the tanks a bowfin upclose and it was a real beauty!!! it was around 10 inches but the blue on the tail! wow...

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

From CSR 10-4.117 Prohibited Species as of 7/31/06 (http://www.sos.mo.go...3csr/3c10-4.pdf)

© Fishes: Live fish or viable eggs of snakehead fish of the genera Channa or Parachanna (or the generic synonyms of Bostrychoides, Ophicephalus, Ophiocephalus and Parophio-cephalus); walking catfish of the family Clariidae;

I don't see Amia Calva.

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

Wow Drewish, you're fast! I must say that I don't see Bowfin either. That information seems to current as well. I wonder if my information is wrong?

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Wanna buy a bowfin? :lol:

#9 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

Sorry to yell but I think this retraction deserves it. IT SEEMS QUITE CLEAR FROM THE PDF LINK POSTED, BOWFIN ARE NOT PROHIBITED IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI.

Again sorry to yell but I hate giving out misinformation especially bad news misinformation.

Have fun with your bouncing baby Bowfin!

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Good job guys! These laws are hard to keep up with!

#11 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

I have a bowfin and he is one of my favorite little guys but you should be prepared for when he gets 3+' depending on what sex it is. Mine is still about 6".

Chad

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users