Got a good explanation of color temperature, spectrum, etc?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

Not sure, but it looks like a different "Newt". Newt, care to comment?

Anyway, I like the idea of mixing the bulbs better, if for no other reason than I think it will look nicer. Two daylight bulbs might look a little blue and/or washed out. The other bulb should bring out more reds. Even better, I might use the daylight and a warm white. Otherwise, I have been having very good results so far with the Ott-Lite plant bulbs sold at Home Depot for about $9 I think. Sold as T12.

$9 each, or for a pair? Daylight bulbs are running around $10 for a 2pk around here -- and those are for T8s. From everything I've seen, moving from T12 to T8 is a very smart decision in terms of energy usage. T12s are basically for home use only -- any business running more than a few lights uses T8 or even T5 these days. I always try to follow what industry does -- they've got a lot of bean-counters running the numbers for them, and they always value economy and reliability over flash (which is what the consumer market generally demands).

Cheers, Jase

#22 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

Each. I wish there were T8s, but they are a consumer product for sure - marketed at the indoor gardening / houseplant crowd. But seeing as they are so much less expensive than the aquatic plant bulbs sold at the pet store, I bit. Don't have the room to do a comparison test, but I do like the results. Website is slick with marketing, but here it is: http://www.ott-lite.com/Cms/nls.aspx

Edit: I do know that people in the sewing/crafting world use screw-in Ott lites due to their very good color rendition. Sewing stores charge an arm and a leg for those...

#23 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

No, that's not me.

My understanding of optics is hazy at best, and of photosynthetic pathways only a little better (which is a shame, as I took plant physiology with Jeff Lebkuecher, an expert on the subject; my old brain just can't hold on to things too small to see).

#24 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

My best planted tank is next to a south facing window. Yes, I know, I'm on Santa's naughty list, it'll be coal for me come December (and just what is wrong with that, I'd like to know?)

Over heating isn't a problem here in Oregon. It works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users