got my breather bags

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

I got my breather bags in from Kordon now, which means I am now able to send and trade fish.

If only I was as good at catching them.

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

can i steal some from you this weekend? i think im gonna be sending out to redfins soon.

#3 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

can i steal some from you this weekend? i think im gonna be sending out to redfins soon.

sure thing, when i call you about meeting up on Saturday remind me in case I forget.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Breather bags are good, but keep in mind that you can always get regular fish bags from PetsMart or wherever - they have worked well for many many years.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

Breather bags are good, but keep in mind that you can always get regular fish bags from PetsMart or wherever - they have worked well for many many years.

I asked a pet store for fish bags once, they had none they would spare me. At least they were nice about not giving me any.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

I got mine from a locally owned fish store. You might also ask if you could buy some.

#7 Guest_melstanh_*

Guest_melstanh_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

This will be my first time using breather bags to transport my fish for a move approx 2-3 hours away. I have done shorter transports with regular fish store bags and have always doubled bagged. Do you need to double bag with the breather bags?

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

This will be my first time using breather bags to transport my fish for a move approx 2-3 hours away. I have done shorter transports with regular fish store bags and have always doubled bagged. Do you need to double bag with the breather bags?

Normally you do not. I have heard of people doing it with large spiny fish, but I am concerned at how much this cuts down gas transfer. A small puncture in a breather bag will almost heal itself, and the nature of the bag makes it stretchy, and not prone to blowouts or tears. The bags have good instructions right on them, I would suggest following them.

#9 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

I have double bagged in the past with larger juvenile sunfish. Be very sure to double the bags initiall when you put the water in and that the two bags fit snugly inside each other. The reason for this is that if any water gets between the two bags it effectively eliminates the gas exchange across the membrane. I would suggest only single bagging most all of your fish and if you have a fish that you think might need double bagging, go with conventional bags with oxygen. THe only modification I do to the bags is I tie off the corners when shipping madtoms or other small catfishes. These guys will get trapped in the corner and lock out their pectorals and a rounded bag with no corners eliminates this issue.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users