Shiner ID?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:13 AM

I caught these shiners in southern Mississippi, somewhere between Gulfport and Hattiesburg on a road trip last year. They were in a clear flowing stream, with sandy bottom and a few areas of gravel. When I caught them about a year ago, they had a distinct "butterscotch candy" color to them. Thankfully, the breeding colors have returned this spring. I have an idea as to what they are, but wanted to get other thoughts. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Looks like rough shiners, Notropis baileyi.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Those are one of the Hydrophlox shiners. I am not certain which one comes as far west as MS. I assume these are rough shiners, Notropis baileyi, but there may be a reasonable replacement out your way.

#4 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thank you very much! N.baileyi was my guess as well. I'm still fascinated at the nuptial color changes, even after seeing it for years! {Glad we don't get tuburcles on our heads!}

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

N. baileyi for sure, one of my favorites.

#6 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

I know a really good spot for those. They fool me everytime, making me think I've found something else. Fish aside, you guys have got to see this place. Now that I finally have a digital camera, I'll make a trip out there and take some pics for you.

#7 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

I think they are rough shiner too, probably red variety. Is there pic of yellow variety?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users