Sick Largemouth Bass

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wallacet_*

Guest_wallacet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

I got this Largemouth Bass from a guy who said it had a fungus. He told me to put it in a seperate tank and treat it with Ick and fungus killer. So I went to Walmart and bought some and put him in a 10 gallon tank to quarantine him. Treated him with the stuff once and then checked back after a few days. He was no better. Waited a few more days before adding the stuff to the tank again. Then checked back a few days after that. Still no better. Obviously this stuff is not working. He seems to be acting just fine. Does not seem weird at all. Swims around like a happy largemouth bass. But he has these cyst looking zit things all over his belly from the tail to his jaw. Any one have any ideas as to what it is and how to treat it? I have taken one picture of the little cysts and can take more detailed pictures if needed. Please help me figure out how I can help this little guy. He is probably one of my favorite fishes. He is growing just fine. He was very thin when I got him but he is starting to bulk up quite a bit. Attached File  bass_002.jpg   303.13KB   6 downloads

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

It is yellow grub.
http://www.michigan....26966--,00.html
I am not sure how to treat it, or if it can be. But stop with the fungus and ick meds.

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:26 PM

Not sure at all.

I've used the Jungle Fizz Tabs to decent effect in treating sick fish

#4 Guest_wallacet_*

Guest_wallacet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

It is yellow grub.
http://www.michigan....26966--,00.html
I am not sure how to treat it, or if it can be. But stop with the fungus and ick meds.

Anyone know how to treat for a yellow grub? He looks bad. And I want to get rid of this. Any suggestions?

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

I agree with Skipjack....yellow grub.

For kicks I once collected and treated killifish with yellow grub.
I found jungle brand "parasite clear" worked quite well in reducing the infestation and usually eliminated all signs of the "grubs". Since that time I understand the formula has changed and not sure if it's still effective on yellow grub.

This can't be transmitted from fish to fish and in most cases no need to treat the fish at all. I currently have a few fish with this condition and see no need to treat them. I must admit that your fish appears to have a great many "grubs". I've never treated a fish with such a heavy infestation and can't promise good results with any treatment.

#6 Guest_wallacet_*

Guest_wallacet_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

I agree with Skipjack....yellow grub.

For kicks I once collected and treated killifish with yellow grub.
I found jungle brand "parasite clear" worked quite well in reducing the infestation and usually eliminated all signs of the "grubs". Since that time I understand the formula has changed and not sure if it's still effective on yellow grub.

This can't be transmitted from fish to fish and in most cases no need to treat the fish at all. I currently have a few fish with this condition and see no need to treat them. I must admit that your fish appears to had a great many "grubs". I've never treated a fish with such a heavy infestation and can't promise good results with any treatment.

Thanks for the info. He does seem to have a large number of them. I just want to try to clean him up a bit. He is a great fish. Very entertaining. I will try to find the Jungle Brand Parasite Clear you were talking about.

Has anyone else found anything different that works? Just in case it does not work well since they changed the formula?

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

IIRC the fish should be able to survive with the grubs. Them living on the fish is only part of a multi-host life cycle. They cannot reproduce in the fish and will die in time (years perhaps) without moving on to the next host. As long as you take good care of him and provide him with plenty of healthy foods I would think he would be alright.

#8 Guest_BigHE_*

Guest_BigHE_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the info. He does seem to have a large number of them. I just want to try to clean him up a bit. He is a great fish. Very entertaining. I will try to find the Jungle Brand Parasite Clear you were talking about.

Has anyone else found anything different that works? Just in case it does not work well since they changed the formula?

What's the latest on the yellow grub situation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users