Bought A Chiller

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Forest Grump_*

Guest_Forest Grump_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have darters, blue spotted sunfish and various minnow species in a 62 gallon with a lid - for the darters. I use 128 watts of lighting - Current with a fan. With 320 days of sun we have had pretty stable temperatures in the 80's during the day and 50's at night. As a result my tank has pretty much stabilized around 80 or slightly above. At night if I open the window and direct a fan on it I can get it to cool down.

I've noticed an real increase with filamentous algae as the temperature rises and some of the darters appeared stressed. So I did a Google on chillers and noticed the Current USA chillers were on sale - really good pricing often with free shipping. I bought the Current Prime 1/10th HP chiller from Dr. Foster and used a Maxijet 1200 to push the water through, albeit slowly.

I took the tank temp down in stages from 82 to 72 and it did it without a problem. The chiller has a digital control to set the temperature and it maintains within 2 degrees. What surprised me is how quiet it is and efficient. Once at temperature the chiller does not go on very often.

The fish seem to be much improved and the algae has stopped spreading - now to get rid of some of it.

I'll have to heat during the winter so I am thinking of keeping the tank at 68 to 73 for a yearly range.

#2 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

How much did it cost?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users