Disinfecting Collecting Equipment

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

Disinfecting of collecting equipment is very good policy, and will soon be the law here in Wisconsin. What are the recommendations of the experts? Is a good sun drying sufficient? (Personally, I think not.) What about a strong salt solution? Hydrogen peroxide? Chlorine bleach? Oxi-clean? Etc.? Is there anything that disinfects, but is relatively harmless to fish?

Personally, I have been using hydrogen peroxide. Relatively mild (too mild?), and relatively cheap. If I really want to be sure, I will use bleach (although I hate the stuff).

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

After I've been in zebra mussel infested water, I use a spray bottle with 1:5 bleach:water. You can just spray it on nets and so forth. The first swipe through the water and it's diluted. This would apply to pathogens and so forth too. I also bleach out my substrate that I use in my photo tanks if I do aquarium fish and then use it in the wild. That I just pour a "glop" into the tank add water, swirl it around and then let it sit for a bit.

The thing I'm worried about are boots and waders. There's too many seams. I don't know what you could do to be concientious about that without completely ruining the equipment.

Todd

#3 Guest_RichardA_*

Guest_RichardA_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

Chlorhexidine solution.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

It is common practice here in VHS /zebra mussel land to disinfect everything using either virkon or the 1:5 bleach solution mentioned by Todd. In fact it is now required just to sample the waters around here.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:31 PM

Permanganate of Potash, anyone?

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

It is common practice here in VHS /zebra mussel land to disinfect everything using either virkon or the 1:5 bleach solution mentioned by Todd. In fact it is now required just to sample the waters around here.

Where can I get vikron? I would hate to spread Zebra Mussels from Erie to any local streams.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

Where can I get vikron? I would hate to spread Zebra Mussels from Erie to any local streams.

http://www.aquaticec.../22702/cid/4482
Bleach is about as effective on Zeeb pediveliger though...

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

http://www.aquaticec.../22702/cid/4482
Bleach is about as effective on Zeeb pediveliger though...

Is just plain air drying effective? Say a week of being dry? I will get a spray bottle with the bleach mix to take with me.

Tom

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

We (MBSS/MD DNR) made it a policy to disinfect after every stream site we step foot in and use equipment such as nets. The last people that need to be responsible for pathogen introductions are the ones that are working in it (though it happens). We use a similar bleach solution as talked about and then rinse for a while with at least a 24 hr drying period afterwards. I've got my doubts about air drying alone since certain things like Didymo can encase in a spore like stage. Plastic pesticide spayers work great and are portable! Of course we do this all well away from the stream too...

#10 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

Simple air drying, and placing it in the sun, wouldn't be an effective solution.
( a large variety of bacteria, etc. etc. can lay dormant in that stage)
The only "safe measure" would be using the solutions mentioned above.

Having a bottle of bleach, like mentioned, wouldn't be such a bad idea if you go between multiple collecting areas ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users