Boston, Ma November 22, 2007

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

Chandler's Pond is a man-made pond that was dug out to harvest ice back before they invented refrigerators. The pond was drained and dredged in 1999. Back before they dredged it, it had largemouth bass. The pond has a pipe with pristine water coming in (I tested it, ph 7, no chlorine, nitrate or nitrites. Water was soft. I didn't test ammonia though) and a drain that merges with the storm sewer (not the sewage sewer) and drains to the Charles River. That water tested out pretty bad. ph 9, high nitrates, some nitrites, water was soft, no chlorine.

Here is a map.
Posted Image
Red = My House
Green = Collecting Area at the Pond.

Here's a shot of the pond. One side is all privatee residences, one side is a community park.

Posted Image

The pond is a nice place in the autumn. In spring and summer, you get harassed by angry swans and step in duck/goose poo.

Here's a nature shot:
Posted Image

This pond is littered with Trapdoor Snail shells, all empty. I think it's because the heron eats them or they just die. I found out that one of the private residences in the area has a pond with these snails in it. They may have gotten into the pond during heavy rains.

Posted Image

Looks like someone was feeding the ducks not too long ago

Posted Image

So I walk around to the other side of the pond. There's a little inlet hidden in the reeds. This inlet is where the pipe with the clean water is. The pond is pretty shallow, but in this inlet area, it is deep enough to launch a small boat.

Posted Image

This is the pipe that brings fresh water to the pond:
Posted Image

Here is the collecting area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These rocks I used a stepping stones to get from one side to the other. Don't step on the flat ones!! They are almost always on top of a smaller rock and will shift when stepped on!
Posted Image

#2 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

I saw that the fish were on the other side so I hopped across the rocks and got caught in this... My net was caught too.
Posted Image

This is my collecting gear... Pretty basic. Just a dip net and a plastic container. I used kordon breather bags.
Posted Image

The fish were congregating in this little pool
Posted Image

I hopped across the rocks and kneeled down on one halfway. The fish saw me and hid under this large rock. I couldn't move it because what you see above the water is about 1/3 of the size of the whole rock.
Posted Image

There were inchlong bluegills and what I thought were 3 inch creek chubs in the water. I caught 1 bluegill, but the creek chubs were too fast for me and kept hiding under the unmovable rock. By this time, my camera ran out of batteries so this pic was taken at night at home.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

arrgh! report not finished!! (I hit post instead of preview) come back in 10 minutes!

I gave you 18 minutes, times up!!!!!!

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

I gave you 18 minutes, times up!!!!!!

Looks like a nice place.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users