Airline travel

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Taking a trip to Cocoa Beach in January, and am thinking about bringing a couple things back. Have not decided whether to ship to myself or put them in my checked luggage. Luggage ideas are: put in breather bags surrounded by paper/socks then into plastic shoeboxes with holes, tape with strapping tape. Option 2 is to pack the bags into a small cooler and check that. My biggest concern is whether the TSA people will think that little bags of water in the checked luggage is suspect.

Anyone have any recent (POST liquids ban) experience with this?

#2 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

From my experience with the TSA it all depends on who looks at the luggage. If I ever want to transport fish, I just FedEx it back home instead of trying my luck with airline security.

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

If I ever want to transport fish, I just FedEx it back home.....

FedEx ships fish? Good to know.

#4 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

I've flown with fish twice. The first time I swore I'd never do it again, and the second time I remembered why.

Ship them to yourself, unless you're a masochist.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

I've flown with fish twice. The first time I swore I'd never do it again, and the second time I remembered why.

Ship them to yourself, unless you're a masochist.

OK, so there's got to be a story here... were they going in the checked luggage?

#6 Guest_FishandFire_*

Guest_FishandFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

Sorry for coming in late on this. I talked to my girlfriend who works for a major international airline. She said that if you are going to check the fish on your flight, a secure cooler would be best. She said that you should let both the counter agent and TSA know what is in the bags that are in the cooler. They will not x-ray the cooler, but will visually inspect inside it. Bring tape to secure the cooler after it is inspected, this will make TSA feel better. As always, you could run into some TSA jerk that will not allow this and you could have a hassle. If you don't want to take any chances or go through the hassle, she said find the nearest FedEx and send them home that way.

#7 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

i have flown with fish during international travel. you definately don't want to try to hide the fact that you are transporting fish or anything else.

if you are just traveling within US, shipping is a better option. i have the best results using USPS Priority Mail. that service is cheaper, and i have received more than one box via FedEx that looked like it had been drop-kicked en route.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

...put them in my checked luggage. ... put in breather bags surrounded by paper/socks ...

I did this once, using shirts though ;-) I had no problems.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users