A Doofy Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:26 AM

This may be a doofy question: Is this a Guppy? There is something strange about the strong crosshatching. The yellow anal, caudal, and dorsal fins strike me as odd too. In addition, it is big, about 1 1/2" long.
Sorry but I'm not real familiar with Guppies........
-Thom

Attached File  2008_0101Firstpics0019.JPG   1.11MB   3 downloads

Attached File  2008_0101Firstpics0021a.jpg   126.78KB   3 downloads

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:52 AM

platy or moon which ever you call it
a wild type hybird you find them in feeder tanks all the time

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:15 AM

As above Xiphophorus variatus or X. maculatus or combination of...

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

This may be a doofy question: Is this a Guppy? There is something strange about the strong crosshatching. The yellow anal, caudal, and dorsal fins strike me as odd too. In addition, it is big, about 1 1/2" long.
Sorry but I'm not real familiar with Guppies........
-Thom

Unless you feed her to something it looks like your going to have 200 more of them. :D

#5 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

Unless you feed her to something it looks like your going to have 200 more of them. :D

That was why I put her in the tank in the first place: yummy little snacks for the natives...but then I noticed there was something strange about her. That's when I took the pic and posted the thread. She's been holding on to her brood for weeks it seems. I finally put her in one of those bubbling fry separator boxes. Maybe I'll raise them instead. We'll see what happens.
P.S. are they native to Mexico? (I did aquire it through a feeder ghost shrimp tank.)

#6 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Looks like a wild hybrid variatus platy. You can see that it has some variatus in it. And it almost looks like some species of swordtails...but since its found in feeder tank then ill say a hybrid platy. It can be hybrid between platy and swordtail. Love the lemon yellow color on the fins!

Yes they are native to mexico. I really like ur platy so just raising her brood as feeder but save some for breeding.

#7 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Looks like a wild hybrid variatus platy. You can see that it has some variatus in it. And it almost looks like some species of swordtails...but since its found in feeder tank then ill say a hybrid platy. It can be hybrid between platy and swordtail. Love the lemon yellow color on the fins!

Yes they are native to mexico. I really like ur platy so just raising her brood as feeder but save some for breeding.

I agree with the statement about the swordtail. With the horizontal stripes I said to myself "that looks more like a swordtail than a platy!" Oh well probably a hybrid like you said!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users