Homemade gravel sifter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Yesterday a couple of us were discussing ways to collect and sort your own gravel from streams. Here's the simple sifter I built a couple years ago -- wood frame with 1/8" hardware cloth screwed to the bottom. I use it to separate sand and very fine gravel out of gravel I grab from streams.

Attached File  P3170227.JPG   41.93KB   1 downloads

Attached File  P3170228.JPG   45.02KB   1 downloads

#2 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Jase, thanks for posting this. Its pretty much what I had pictured but I wasn't 100% sure. I'm sure I will be building one sometime down the road.

Thank again for the pictures!

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

My sifter was square, just about big enough so the a bucket could fit in it. I put a piece of OSB siding on the underside to support the hardware cloth and screen, and I cut a round hole in it just a little bit smaller than the top of a standard collecting bucket.

And hey, Jase, what's up with posting photos of various parts of your body? OK, I get the "eyecon", but the foot joke is lost on me!

#4 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

And hey, Jase, what's up with posting photos of various parts of your body? OK, I get the "eyecon", but the foot joke is lost on me!

My foot's in there for size comparison -- it was the only thing I had within grabbing distance that would give some perspective. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users