Shiner trip

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Went out against the cold today and managed to catch 4 beautiful red fin shiners and a female bluegill pictures are coming soon!

#2 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Heres the Pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are tough fish! one shot through the lid and fell on the floor and when I found him he wasn't breathing then I put him back in the tank and he revived himself needless to say I tightened the lid :glare:

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

Nice Golden Shiners!

#4 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Nice Golden Shiners!

Thanks Newt! I wasn't sure about the species so I just called them red fins :biggrin: because they all shared that same trait.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Their size and general morphology are good indicators your golden shiners are not "shiners" of the genera Notropis, Luxilus, Lythrurus, Cyrpinella, etc. Golden shiner bellies have a sharp naked keel between their pelive fin base and anus.

#6 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

Their size and general morphology are good indicators your golden shiners are not "shiners" of the genera Notropis, Luxilus, Lythrurus, Cyrpinella, etc. Golden shiner bellies have a sharp naked keel between their pelive fin base and anus.

Whats there proper I.D. ashtonmj I really would like to know because I have been calling them shiners as long as I can remember. Are they in the shiner family or a different species all together? I am horrible at species identification. :unsure:

#7 Guest_dpiazza22_*

Guest_dpiazza22_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

how did you catch them?

Edited by dpiazza22, 14 April 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

Golden shiners are Notemigonus crysoleucas. They are in the minnow and carp family (Cyprinidae), as are all shiners, but the goldens are not closely related to the other genera Matt mentioned. Those fish are smaller, and they lack the deep, keeled body and long-based anal fin of the goldens.

#9 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

how did you catch them?

Quite easily actually and this is a method that has proven true again and again. I buy the regular dry oatmeal in the big cannister from my local grocery store and I bait the water with two handfuls of dry oats and then put very small bread balls on an extremely small hook and the shiners swarm in the oatmeal and they love the bread as well. I used a regular bream pole to catch them. Another thing I wish to add is I had no sinker or bobber on the line, I was fishing just line and hook and bait, letting it drift down and most of the time they hit it right time it hit the water. I caught probably 12 and kept 4.

#10 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Golden shiners are Notemigonus crysoleucas. They are in the minnow and carp family (Cyprinidae), as are all shiners, but the goldens are not closely related to the other genera Matt mentioned. Those fish are smaller, and they lack the deep, keeled body and long-based anal fin of the goldens.

Ok so what species are these guys?

#11 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

They are Golden Shiners.

#12 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

They are Golden Shiners.

Thanks for clearing that up Newt! :biggrin:

#13 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:35 AM

Nice Golden Shiners!

#14 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

Just curious, I tried to find info on breeding these guys but was unsuccessful. Do any of you guys have experience breeding golden shiners? Any pointers for best results? Thanks.

#15 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Stick a bunch of them in a pond and let'em rip! That's how the bait suppliers do it.

I've never heard of anyone trying to breed them in smaller quarters.

#16 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Stick a bunch of them in a pond and let'em rip! That's how the bait suppliers do it.

I've never heard of anyone trying to breed them in smaller quarters.

Ah so breeding them in an aquarium wouldn't work huh? I may be digging an outside pond pretty soon then :biggrin:

#17 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have three of them in a 75g and they definitely show signs of spawning activity, but I have never bothered to try and find eggs. I believe Goldstein says in his book that they will pretty much spawn continuously given plants or mops, warm water, and a long photoperiod.

#18 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

According to "American Aquarium Fishes" by Robert Goldstein golden shiners require both a 16 hour photoperiod and warm temperatures. One or the other alone won't work, both are required. They lay their eggs over spawning mops, bounded filter floss, gravel or plants (the book specifically mentions Nitella, Vesicularia, Cabomba and Myriophyllum). The book also suggests using a outdoor wading (kiddie) pool with fiberglass furnace fillers as spawning medium. Young will require rotifers, green water, protozoa or infusoria at first and a week later baby brine shrimp.

#19 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

According to "American Aquarium Fishes" by Robert Goldstein golden shiners require both a 16 hour photoperiod and warm temperatures. One or the other alone won't work, both are required. They lay their eggs over spawning mops, bounded filter floss, gravel or plants (the book specifically mentions Nitella, Vesicularia, Cabomba and Myriophyllum). The book also suggests using a outdoor wading (kiddie) pool with fiberglass furnace fillers as spawning medium. Young will require rotifers, green water, protozoa or infusoria at first and a week later baby brine shrimp.

Thanks for the great information! I will try and give it a go and report back with results.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users