some streams of Baldwin Co., South Alabama

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:39 AM

My girlfriend and I made it out this afternoon for a quick scouting trip in Baldwin County, AL. We took I-65 north to Hwy 225 (about 15 miles north of Mobile), and headed south on the rolling small highway. The mission was to see if we could find any AL darters, and confirm the location of some flagfin shiners. About 12 stops alongside rural and suburban bridges yielded no Alabama darters (though we caught and released no fewer than 20 blackbanded darters). We did have varied success with the shiners, catching both the flagfin and sailfin varieties, along with a couple more (that I'll have to post photos for ID help). These others were probably cherryfin, and coastal or weed shiners. I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow.
Good night for now.

#2 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

Here are a few photos of the fish we caught. Please note and corrections that are appropriate!
Flagfin, Cherryfin (?), and Weed Shiners

Attached Images

• flagfin.JPG
  • cherryfin.JPG
  • shiner.JPG

Edited by DIfishhead, 15 May 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, I'd say cherryfin for the second shiner, it has that Lythrurus look and body plan. Where you found it in Baldwin County must be pretty close to the SE limit of its range.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

I catch Cherryfins (L. roseipinnis) in that area. It does look like a Lythrurus and I believe it is the only Lythrurus along 225 so it might be a cherryfin by default. I cannot ID that fish based on that photo to be honest. The Pteronotropis I would bet on hypselopterus (sailfin) by the looks of that photo.

#5 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

The Pteronotropis I would bet on hypselopterus (sailfin) by the looks of that photo.

Thanks for the input, folks. I was skeptical about the flagfin ID because it lacked the sulfur marking on the base of the tail....but I hadn't seen bright red like that on a sailfin anal fin before.

Edited by DIfishhead, 15 May 2008 - 01:39 PM.

#6 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

I forgot to mention, that we also saw a wild turkey (the feathered type, not the glass bottle type) on the side of a logging road. The last turkey I saw was while collecting rainbow shiners around Tuscaloosa about 3 years ago. Closer to town (Daphne, AL) we saw an interesting (unfortunate) road kill- a fresh dead bobcat.
Just a reminder of the extra fun to be had while collecting, above and beyond the critters we're actually targeting!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users