A few more ID puzzles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slybird_*

Guest_slybird_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:05 PM

Here are a few from warm, shallow stretches of 6-mile creek, a tributary of Cayuga Lake.

No idea:
Posted Image

I'm pretty sure this one is Fallfish, but would like your confirmation:
Posted Image

Goldfish?
Posted Image

Unknown fry
Posted Image

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
~ Nick

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

hey Nick,

looks like:

banded killifish
fallfish
rudd
eyes and a wiggle.

cheers,
Dave

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

Dave, I'm truly impressed, I don't think I've ever seen a banded killifish photograph from that angle much less ID'd one.

#4 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:48 PM

No idea, but I wanted to say that that's a *great* macro shot of that fry. Very cool.

#5 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:47 PM

The banded killie was easy thats the view I get of them mostly when attempting to capture them by dipnet only they are heading the other direction. Dave, are large golden shiners similar to the rudd color wise as I've often seen (but not caught) similar fish in a local pond which I assumed were golden shiners but I wasn't too familiar with rudd.

#6 Guest_slybird_*

Guest_slybird_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

The banded killie was easy thats the view I get of them mostly when attempting to capture them by dipnet only they are heading the other direction. Dave, are large golden shiners similar to the rudd color wise as I've often seen (but not caught) similar fish in a local pond which I assumed were golden shiners but I wasn't too familiar with rudd.

Thanks for the help and complements, guys. :smile2:

Good call on the banded killie.. I should've gotten that, I've seen them before but the top view wasn't one I'm familiar with. Of course now the upturned mouth seems obvious... :rolleyes:
I hadn't even considered rudd, I didn't know they were in this drainage. Looked through a few pictures and that seems like a good call. Thanks!
Does "eyes and a wiggle" have a scientific name?

~ Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users