Yellowfin Shiners

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

Here are few snaps of my small school of yellowfins taken the other day when they got all excited about something... maybe the hurricane that just dumped a bunch of rain on us?
Attached File  yfs1.jpg   293.61KB   0 downloads
Attached File  yfs2.jpg   370.39KB   0 downloads
Attached File  yfs5.jpg   241.14KB   0 downloads
Attached File  yfs6.jpg   253.43KB   1 downloads
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

Nice minners, Michael!

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

Nice minners, Michael!

Thanks Irate... this group was collected a year and a half ago in December (I think... Laura you were with me that day... these are the Athens area yellowfins we collected shortly before you left GA)... I kept them in a tank in the baesment for a year... and then brought them upstairs into the big tank earlier this year... they love the extra attention, and extra current... they seem to have gotten a lot fatter being upstairs... and the extra food seems to casue more color 'flare ups' than before. You just have to love the metallic limey yellow heads on these fish and the red bodies and eyes!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Yes, I remember. That was a really nice day!

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Those are very pretty! Superficially they look like SRBD, but the yellow stands out.
What do they look like when not fired up?

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

Those are very pretty! Superficially they look like SRBD, but the yellow stands out.
What do they look like when not fired up?

They look like the fish in the bottom right of the 2nd picture down... which is actually a couple of them that jsut weren't as red at the moment I took the picture... so they are just a basic dark line down the side notropis (olive above, white below, and a little bit of a goldsh line above the dark line... you can see it on som eof hte fired up fish). Also, when they are calm, the fins are clear to light yellow... when fired up they turn more opaque white or pale yellow... and that is unique to the Athens area yellowfins, others have... yellow (or orange) fins.

#7 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

My immediate reaction was to fire up MapQuest.

6:44 one way. A little long for a day trip. Guess some planning will be involved !

Did I mention Nice Fish !!?!?

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

My immediate reaction was to fire up MapQuest.

6:44 one way. A little long for a day trip. Guess some planning will be involved !

Did I mention Nice Fish !!?!?

Plan some, get you some!

Let me know and we can work somethig out... If you take your time and come in in the fall or winter, they won't look like this, but they are real hardy when collected in the cool weather, and immediately take to tank life.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users