Seine net into a Casting net

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

I turned my seine net into a casting net, because I couldn't find a casting net with tiny holes. I also ripped my old casting net on a rock, which I've only caught bass and suckers in it, and some other type of minnow carp species... So it was pretty much useless to me because of the hole size. The suckers and bass would get stuck in the net and have to be worked out :( It took awhile to make, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Anyway, it works good, but the river is up currently. The diameter is 6 foot, 1/8 inch mesh, and 4 foot deep. It's stiffer than a casting net, but works great. The seine net was a 12 foot long 4 foot deep seine, and being a seine net that long it is illegal to use as a seine net.

Any thoughts? :mrgreen:

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

What a great idea! I have recently been eyeing the mesh laundry bags at the dollar store as potential material. Pretty flexible stuff. I may just give your idea a try!

#3 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Thanks, your idea sounds better tho. I had to do a lot of sewing on the net to get a square shaped seine net into the shape of a circular casting net. I just hope it last for awhile, so I don't have to fix it.

I don't think my local Dollar General store or Family Dollar store has those... I've thought about using Mosquito netting, but I couldn't find a decent price on it.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

I think the laundry bags would still require a lot of sewing. I was thinking of opening them square and then stitching some together and hemming them to be round. Otherwise, they'd be far to small, I think. But the fabric is cheap and soft - don't know how sturdy it would be, though. Probably not very.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users