Sygnathus scovelli?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

Anyone have any clue where to find this pipefish? I have not the slightest chance of collecting them, so I hope a vendor exists who sells them at least occassionally.

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Paul Sachs at aquaculturestore.com is going to be your best bet on that one. Good luck.

#3 Jmanrow

Jmanrow
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 09 June 2022 - 01:18 AM

Anyone have any clue where to find this pipefish? I have not the slightest chance of collecting them, so I hope a vendor exists who sells them at least occassionally.

#4 Jmanrow

Jmanrow
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 09 June 2022 - 01:30 AM

I have had a breeding pair, until recently. They had a couple of broods of fry, which I raised on baby brine shrimp until they were large enough to eat daphnia and scuds. They were collected in one of the bayous branching from Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana. The specific gravity of the waters they were collected in was 1.002.
They are typically found in Marine water and estuaries, ranging from Florida to Texas. Sygnathus scovelli is occasionally found in some freshwater landlocked lakes. I don't know of anyone selling them online right now. I found mine on eBay. I would suggest keeping them at a salinity similar to that of where they were collected. I have been doing 50% water changes every couple of weeks. I was using well water, and adding Marine Aquarium salts. The last water change I lost them all except for one of the young, which is about a year old. I would also be interested in acquiring some more gulf pipefish.
After the mishap last week, I plan on using RO/DI water, and adjusting the pH, so this does not happen again.
You should be able to find them in estuaries of the Gulf Coast, to a many miles upstream. Best of luck!

#5 Jmanrow

Jmanrow
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 09 June 2022 - 01:32 AM

Paul Sachs at aquaculturestore.com is going to be your best bet on that one. Good luck.

#6 Jmanrow

Jmanrow
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 09 June 2022 - 01:34 AM

Unfortunately, Sachs Aquaculture has closed their business a few months ago. I was a regular customer of theirs. It was a great place!

Edited by Jmanrow, 09 June 2022 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users