ID help from NC Aquarium, Shiner?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phry

Phry
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Another photo from the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores, from the tank labeled "Mountain Minnows" (I think!) which contained a mix of Shiners, Dace, Minnows, Darters and Chubs.  I think this is one of the Shiners, maybe the Cape Fear Shiner?

Attached Files

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

not cape fear, but lots of other possibilities: New River, mimic, sandbar, saffron, ... ???

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

I used some very technical photo enhancing software and was able to bring out some finer details.  I think it is a Tigeranha minnow.

Attached File  shiner.jpg   136.6KB   1 downloads

But I could be wrong, as the original is a bit blurry to say for certain.

Do you have any pictures of the entire exhibit?  It looks cool and I like the diversity so far....

Nick L.

#4 Phry

Phry
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

Do you have any pictures of the entire exhibit?  It looks cool and I like the diversity so far....

I do, and this one is blurry because it is cropped so much.  This is the photo it was cropped from, and the label on the tank.  (It is possible there was another label on the other side of the tank with additional species that I missed, but I don't think so.) I have several photos from that tank because there were so many kinds of fish in it, and they didn't exactly stay still for long so there was a lot of guesswork in photographing them!

Attached Files

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:19 PM

Those are some interesting graphics---which to the untrained eye would make identifying the fish in the exhibit a little more difficult.  But you are correct, the males change color dramatically in some cases during breeding season.

But from your group photo shot, and what the aquarium lists as being in that tank, you may have a Cape fear shiner in the bottom left portion of the picture (with the black line through the middle of the fish).  Looks like that tank is slammed full of Rosyside dace!  Which makes sense because if you can catch one, you can usually catch 100.

Nick L.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users