Indiana Laws Regarding Shipping Native Fishes to IN and Keeping them in Aquaria

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

Everyone,

I contacted the Indiana DNR this week about keeping native fishes in aquaria and the legalities thereof, as part of my regular updates to my records.  Please see the emails below regarding regulations.  In short, native fishes are legal to ship to Indiana and keep in aquaria as part of the pet trade.  There are limitations, of course on protected species.  I hope to post that information soon.  But here are the emails I received this week:

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 7:29 AM
To: bt@btdarters.com
Subject: RE: Shipping U.S.-Native Fishes to IN for Aquarium Use

Here are the rules.  See the red section below which exempts species in aquarium trade from needing a Fish Haulers and Suppliers Permit.  You just can’t import fish species on our invasive species list even for aquariums.

312 IAC 9-10-14 Fish hauler's and supplier's permit

Authority: IC 14-22-2-6

Affected: IC 14-22-16

Sec. 14. (a) A fish hauler's and supplier's permit must be obtained under this section before a person:

(1) imports live fish from another state or another country for sale; or

(2) raises fish for sale for any purpose, live or dead.

(b) A person shall make application for a permit under this section on a departmental form.

© A person applying for a permit under this section must establish that a fish that is raised in Indiana or imported in Indiana

and will be sold:

(1) is free of any communicable disease;

(2) will not become a nuisance; and

(3) will not damage a native wild species or a domestic species of animal or plant.

(d) A permit issued under this section expires on December 31 for the year of its issuance.

(e) Subject to conditions imposed on the permit by the department, a permittee may import, produce, or sell live fish of the

species listed under section 15(e) of this rule and the following species:

(1) Brown trout.

(2) Hybrid striped bass.

(3) Rainbow trout.

(4) Tiger muskellunge.

(5) Tilapia.

(f) This section does not apply to a person who possesses fish other than those listed in 312 IAC 9-6-7 and who:

(1) is engaged in raising, importing, or selling live fish exclusively for use in the aquarium pet trade; or

(2) holds a bait dealer's license under IC 14-22-16 and is engaged exclusively in the sale of live fish for bait.

312 IAC 9-6-7 Exotic fish

Authority: IC 14-22-2-6

Affected: IC 14-22-2-3

Sec. 7. (a) Except as otherwise provided under this section, an individual must not import, possess, propagate, buy, sell,

barter, trade, transfer, loan, or release into public or private waters any of the following live fish or recently hatched or juvenile

live fish or their viable eggs or genetic material:

(1) Exotic catfish.

(2) Bighead carp.

(3) Black carp.

(4) Silver carp.

(5) White perch.

(6) Snakehead.

(7) Rudd.

(8) Ruffe.

(9) Tubenose goby.

(10) Round goby.

(11) Stone moroko.

(12) Zander.

(13) Wels catfish.

(14) A hybrid or genetically altered fish of any of these species.

(b) An individual who takes possession of a fish listed in subsection (a) does not violate this section if the fish listed in

subsection (a) is killed immediately upon capture by doing one (1) of the following:

(1) Remove the head of the fish.

(2) Remove the gill arches from at least one (1) side of the fish.

(3) Eviscerate the fish.

Doug Keller
Aquatic Habitat Program Manager
Indiana DNR
402 W. Washington St, Rm W273
Indianapolis, IN  46204
317-232-4093
dkeller@dnr.in.gov

I asked what "Exotic catfishes" were defined as.  Please see the email below.

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 12:34 PM
To: bt@btdarters.com
Subject: RE: Shipping U.S.-Native Fishes to IN for Aquarium Use

Here is the definition a per our rule: "Exotic catfish" means a walking catfish or other member of the family Clariidae.

Doug Keller
Aquatic Habitat Program Manager
Indiana DNR
402 W. Washington St, Rm W273
Indianapolis, IN  46204
317-232-4093
dkeller@dnr.in.gov

Again, I will post soon about what species are protected in Indiana.  But this is a start.  Thanks for your attention!

Brian

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

Sorry about the 8).  A number eight followed by a close paren must be the code for a smiley face.  Oh well.  Please ignore that.

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users