The darters come-a-running.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

They know when it's dinner time and they all come a running to the front of the tank at feeding time. There's 10 of the 20 I have in these 2 photos. Two of my banded darters actually swim up to the tank top and wait for me to hand feed them. Hard to believe most of these little fish were wild 3 months ago.

Darters.... They hooked me, I didn't hook them!

Attached Files

#2 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

Very cool!!!!  I can't wait to fill my tank and feel that darter addiction too!

Kevin Wilson

#3 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

You'll love it! These fish are very expressive in nature and personality. The banded darters interact with me the most and the rainbows do as well to a decent extent. The Johnny and fantail darters pretty much keep to themselves but do come to the front along with the others. Once feeding time is over, the rest go their own way, but the banded darters are like us old men after dinner. They like to sit around and socialize with the people who bring them their food.

#4 bullhead

bullhead
  • NANFA Member
  • Wisconsin

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

that greenie will be eating darters soon!

#5 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, that's why I have to find a home for him somewhat soon. I keep fry minnows and feeder guppies in there to keep the sunnies and stonecat madtom sated and away from the darters.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:18 PM

Darters do have a way of endearing themselves, don't they?

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

That they do. They have become very personalized with me. They all run to the front and many swim up to meet me at the top of the tank at feeding time.

#8 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

My rainbow darters act like little puppies dancing around the foodbowl Really hard to find many commercially available tropical fish with this much personality.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#9 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

I agree. My rainbows aren't near as social as the banded darters are. The banded darters come right up and feed from the stick I use to put the blood worms into the tank with. They don't even wait, just take them off the stick. They also "dance" back and forth across the front and at the top while waiting for me. Simply awesome fish. I have never had that kind of personality from any other kinds of fish outside of green sunfish. They interact very well with people as well.

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

^ You should get your hands on a couple Logperch,...whatever your local variety may be (if legal, of course).  All the personality of a darter, but spend more time off the bottom. 

Nick L.

#11 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

We do have logperch here but I have never caught one. They're listed in the Olentangy river aquatic biodiversity list and listed as LC by the IUCN. Might need to get into a little deeper water for them. As for time off the bottom, the banded and rainbows stay in the open most of the time, the Johnnys do too, but the fantails like to hide. There's LOTS of hidey holes on the bottom but rarely do the darters aside from the fantails hide.

Would like to get a logperch. I love the banding on them!

#12 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 13 March 2020 - 06:02 PM

You can find lots of logperch in Deer Creek Ohio, pretty easy to seine in riffles.

#13 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:07 PM

Anyone know what happened to Fleendar? Disappeared?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#14 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

I was wondering the same thing... 

Kevin Wilson

#15 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 21 July 2021 - 10:06 PM

By the grace of God, I am still here. I have just had a very severe turn of events in my life. Didn't think anyone would miss me....  19 months ago, I was ready to end my life. If it wasn't for God, my kids, my immediate family and my few and true close friends giving me their utmost support and love, I'd be worm chow.

Just wondering where do I go to start all over again?

Anyhow.... I have at least started over again with another aquarium. Just a 16 gallon bow-front. Have some bluntnose minnows, spotfin shiners, a longear sunfish, 3 rusty crays (added later), and a female rainbow darter (added later). Going to get my 30 gallon out of storage soon. Want to get back out to the river and get a couple more darters.

God bless. 🙏

Attached Files

#16 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

Of course we missed you Chris.  I love reading your posts and you sharing your tanks.  I'm happy that you're OK now and back in the NANFA aquarium world!

Kevin Wilson

#17 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

Fishkeeping: The Ultimate form of solace! 

Hope things continue to improve in your life.  Good looking fish/tank.

Nick L.

#18 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:57 PM

Of course we missed you Chris.  I love reading your posts and you sharing your tanks.  I'm happy that you're OK now and back in the NANFA aquarium world

Thank you Chasmodes and Nick for your words of support and comfort. I very much appreciate it!

Life has been miserable and extremely painful over the past 40 years of my life from multiple forms of abuse and trauma. This abuse and trauma manifested itself about 2 years ago. The past 20 months have been even worse. I have been trying to focus on God, my kids, family, friends and native fish, and in that sequence. I have to return to some semblance of normalcy.

That being said, God has blessed us with an abundance of incredibly beautiful aquatic creatures to enjoy, take care of and respect. Even the lowly creek chub and bluntnose minnow is beautiful with its shiny flashes of silvery purple in the sunlight.

I cannot apologize for referencing to God for creating these beautiful creatures, but who else could create such beauty?! If I have overstepped my bounds, please let me know.

Thanks again for your concern and well-wishes.

The Grumpy old man - Chris

Best in safe and legal collecting!

#19 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

Salvation is there for the asking.

A path is offered out of all ills.

Embrace life and this wonderful creation.

Avoid the pitfalls.

Jesus saves.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#20 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:15 PM

Salvation is there for the asking.

A path is offered out of all ills.

Embrace life and this wonderful creation.

Avoid the pitfalls.

Jesus saves.

Thank you kindly, Casper.

Yes, Jesus does save. I have been saved and am humbly thankful. I was baptized last Sunday which was a special treat. Being baptized doesn't save you, acknowledging and accepting Christ as your savior DOES. A truly rewarding experience!  As long as He leads me, the pitfalls and traps are avoided. However, once in awhile I find a pitfall / pothole in the river while I'm fishing for smallies and redeyes. I come home totally drenched, but usually with FISH! :D/

Happy collecting and enjoy God's beautiful creation and creatures!

The Grumpy Old Man, Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users