Photo

75 Gallon Fish Suggestions (DuPage County Illinois)

5 replies to this topic

#1 DissidentMantis

DissidentMantis
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

Hello everyone.

I have a fully cycled 75 gallon planted tank with coontails, driftwood, rocks and plenty of hiding places.  I live in DuPage County and I am interested in stocking this tank with some beautiful native fish.  I had considered Northern Long-ear Sunfish, or Orange spotted sunfish, but I am also interested in warmouth and shadow bass.  I have a Tenkara rod and a few nets.  Is anyone familiar with my neck of the woods and do you have any suggestions for targeting these species in my area?  I am willing to drive up to an hour and a half.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Sandwich love his 58 gallon show tank, but does not appreciate house guests, unless they have come for dinner!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 DissidentMantis

DissidentMantis
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

Sandwich love his 58 gallon show tank, but does not appreciate house guests, unless they have come for dinner!

I was just watching your video of Sandwich. Awesome fish!

#4 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

Go to fishmap.org and type in your target species. It should pull up collections sites near you. Nearly all of the larger species you're interested in can be easily caught with ultralight gear and worms. Even orangespots and shiners if you go small enough.

For your tank, you're going to have to decide if you want a very diverse tank of smaller microspecies (darters, orangespots, madtoms, various minnows) or a tank with a few larger species (larger Lepomis, Luxilus shiners, Ambloplites, Bullheads etc). I have mixed a single warmouth with several (central) longear and the two species pretty much ignored each other. That would probably work in a 75 if you have enough structure built in.

Good luck.

#5 DissidentMantis

DissidentMantis
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Go to fishmap.org and type in your target species. It should pull up collections sites near you. Nearly all of the larger species you're interested in can be easily caught with ultralight gear and worms. Even orangespots and shiners if you go small enough.

For your tank, you're going to have to decide if you want a very diverse tank of smaller microspecies (darters, orangespots, madtoms, various minnows) or a tank with a few larger species (larger Lepomis, Luxilus shiners, Ambloplites, Bullheads etc). I have mixed a single warmouth with several (central) longear and the two species pretty much ignored each other. That would probably work in a 75 if you have enough structure built in.

Good luck.

Thank you.  I am going to go with a few larger species as I have found that they tend to have more personality.  I may go with 1 green sunfish, and 4 Northern Long ear sunfish.  If I manage to find a warmouth I will include that species as well.  If they outgrow the tank I will upgrade them to a 120 in about a year or so.

#6 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

We don't have shadow bass up here, but rock bass are all over the place.

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users