Building a Camper Van for fish hunting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnnymax

johnnymax
  • NANFA Guest
  • Buna, Texas

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

I finally found and bought an old Ford Cargo Van. I am going to make it into a camper van, so I can find out of the way places to discover American fishes.

Fist trip is scheduled for mid May, so I need to get started on the van build.

We are heading to the Florida Panhandle.

I am planning to bring an old canoe, but currently it is busted in 12 places. I need to fiberglass patch it.

I am searching for Spotted Bullhead Catfish. I think they are the prettiest of all the American Catfish.

I hope to bring a few home. I have a pond and two large aquariums.

Attached Files

"I work so I can buy things, give things & do things"

#2 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:28 AM

Nice find! And I agree - those spotted bullheads are hard to beat.  In my experience they are also had to catch. Even hard to catch while electrofishing (see post #30 in this thread http://forum.nanfa.o...s-are/?p=133934). You might have better luck down in FL than I had in GA.  The few we caught were mostly along shorelines with close association with woody structure - more specifically stumps and root wads. I wonder if angling or baited traps may be a good option since netting in heavy structure could be difficult.  Setting out on the road for one target species - I love it!  I hope you update us with your progress and adventure.

Willie P

#3 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:54 AM

We collected spotted bullheads in seines run into shorelines on Tate's Hell NANFA trips, but they were rare catches as I remember. I agree with Uncle Willie about angling for them. I wonder if they come to worm baits carried deep on bobbers in the evening like yellow bullheads did when I was growing up in central Illinois.  

Phil Nixon

#4 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:57 AM

Phil...

You might remember Ace caught some in a baited minnow trap.

That was near Panacea along the OCH LOCK KNEE.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users