Photo

New species of Percina

4 replies to this topic

#1 TomNear

TomNear
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 May 2021 - 08:36 AM

My research group published a new darter species description.

Abstract: Percina freemanorum, the Etowah Bridled Darter, is described as a new species endemic to the Etowah River system in Georgia, specifically in Long Swamp Creek, Amicalola Creek, and the upper portion of the Etowah River. The earliest collection records for Percina freemanorum date to 1948 and in 2007 the species was delimited as populations of Percina kusha. Our investigation into the systematics of Percina kusha is motivated by the uncertain status of populations in the Coosawattee River system and observed morphological disparity in several meristic traits between populations in the Conasauga and Etowah River systems. Our analyses of morphological divergence, nuclear genotypes, and mtDNA haplotype networks confirm the distinctiveness of Percina freemanorum. Morphologically, Percina freemanorum is distinguished from Percina kusha through lower average numbers of lateral line scales (65.4 vs. 72.3); rows of transverse scales (18.0 vs. 21.4); scales around the caudal peduncle (22.1 vs. 24.9); and modally more pectoral fin rays (14 vs. 13). The two species are not reciprocally monophyletic in phylogenetic analysis of mtDNA sequences, but the two species do not share mtDNA haplotypes. Analysis of up to 158,000 RADseq loci resolve each of the two species as reciprocally monophyletic and genomic clustering analysis of single nucleotide polymorphisms identifies two genetic clusters that correspond to the morphologically delimited Percina freemanorum and Percina kusha.

Attached Files

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:41 AM

This is exciting.  Well done and congrats.

Nick L.

#3 rc6750

rc6750
  • NANFA Member
  • Tampa Bay, FL

Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:08 PM

Very cool

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:30 PM

Ok. The abstract description was WAY above my pay scale and 12th grade education level. My brain hurts from attempting to read it.... #-o My takeaway.... A new darter species has been identified. Would love to see some pics!

Thanks.

The Grumpy Old Man.

#5 Robert Lamb

Robert Lamb
  • NANFA Member
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:15 PM

I had the privilege of seeing some when I went after Etowah darters, sadly no pictures to prove it. They're rather timid 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users