Photo

Fundulus notti

3 replies to this topic

#1 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:28 AM

Recently I have been working with some Fundulus notti.  I attempted to breed them the same way that I have successfully breed several other Fundulus species and wasn't have luck.  The two primary issues where I got stuck was finding the eggs and the food for the fry.  I was using spawning mops and consistently finding only one or two eggs at the most.  One of the corks "failed" and that mop settled where it was floating just off the bottom.  I continued to check the other two floating mops and finding hardly any eggs - for whatever reason I didn't check the one on the bottom.  Finally, I also pulled that mop and it was filled with eggs (and has continued to have eggs many months later.  They had been laying eggs all along, it just took me a while to find them (oops!).  Secondly, I was using micro worms as one of the early foods for the fry.  After losing many batches of fry and being very conscientious about water quality I finally stopped using micro worms and added powdered food - no more crashes.  When feeding microworms I was able to raise a few fry here and there, but not consistently.  I don't know if they were choking on the worms or if it was some other issue, but I finally was finally able to share nearly a dozen juvenile F. notti with friends this past week.

#2 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:28 PM

Ive been using vinegar eels, micro worms, and using a pipette to suck stuff from a filter sponge to feed my Starhead and Blackstripe fry
with some success. Id like to try powdered food too. What kind do you use?
Most eggs Ive found were found near the bottom too.

Edited by PBK, 16 July 2021 - 12:30 PM.

#3 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:07 AM

Good input - thanks for sharing!  The powered food that I used was Reef Nutrition Chroma Boost TDO (size: B1).  I'm not suggesting this is the only, or even best, powered food for fry, but I will say that it worked consistent with several batches of Notti fry.

#4 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 19 July 2021 - 12:10 AM

Thanx 4 the info.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users