Electronic Collection Report Form

40 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

What if we could compile a NANFA database of Collection Reports? I know that it would not be entirely accurate, but we have the resources here to identify any questionable fish. Fish that are in question will only be accepted with a photo voucher added to the collection sheet. Any thoughts?

-Nate

I think we're putting the cart before the horse....we don't even have the form yet!

I also must ask who controls the data? Do they share and with whom?

#22 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

I think we're putting the cart before the horse....we don't even have the form yet!

I also must ask who controls the data? Do they share and with whom?

This is true, the cart has arrived. I think it should be made readily available to all Nanfa members, and specially available to others on request. The person(s) in control of the data should be moderators (or the regional reps for which the data was collected). The form is needed first, I know. Just brainstorming though.

An afterthought, some of the more interesting data could be featured in American Currents as well.

#23 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

I like it.

Let us know when you complete this nate :lol:

That was good for a chuckle on this end! Yup, we have lots of great ideas floating around out there

#24 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

I found this. It's already NANFA related.

http://www.alljb.com/colreports

#25 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:22 AM

YIKES!

That's exactly the kind of thing we all want, and exactly the kind of thing we must never have.

#26 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

I'm inclined to agree. Despite my reputation as a big environment wrecker, I think we should share such things on a member-to-member basis. There are those who just want the fish. Period. And nothing is going to stand in their way.

#27 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

I'm inclined to agree. Despite my reputation as a big environment wrecker, I think we should share such things on a member-to-member basis. There are those who just want the fish. Period. And nothing is going to stand in their way.

True, but if you just put watershed or something like that and not take I-90 to the 534 exit head south to st. rt. 6 turn L. (East) proceed 2 miles....... I think this would be a good resource. I would only make it available to NANFA Members though.

#28 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

Ok, proceed with the form!

#29 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

Many states agencies and Natureserve already have this sort of information available online. We'd be creating a redundant service that would require a decent amount of work on someones part to manage the database and server. If anything is going to be done for NANFA online I'd like to see more of the "coming soon" features updated.

#30 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

True, but if you just put watershed or something like that and not take I-90 to the 534 exit head south to st. rt. 6 turn L. (East) proceed 2 miles....... I think this would be a good resource. I would only make it available to NANFA Members though.

What's so special about the headwaters around Rock Creek/Roaming Shores? :grin:

#31 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:58 AM

What's so special about the headwaters around Rock Creek/Roaming Shores? :grin:

Other than it's not too far from my house? I can't tell, I'm sworn to secrecy!

#32 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Other than it's not too far from my house? I can't tell, I'm sworn to secrecy!

Invite him collecting, so he can find out. You can come as far as my house, and I'll drive the last two hours, if you want, Matt. We can hit NW PA, too, if you'd like.

#33 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Invite him collecting, so he can find out. You can come as far as my house, and I'll drive the last two hours, if you want, Matt. We can hit NW PA, too, if you'd like.

Yeah thats a good idea.

#34 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

I lived in Cleveland for the first 22 years of my life fellas I already know what's out there. I've been collecting out in the NE Ohio region for the past 7 years. Been out to the area around Rock Creek twice, in laws had a place at Roaming shores, and another lived until a few months ago lived along Big Creek in Chardon. Worked several fish and mussel jobs on French Creek too.

#35 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

I lived in Cleveland for the first 22 years of my life fellas I already know what's out there. I've been collecting out in the NE Ohio region for the past 7 years. Been out to the area around Rock Creek twice, in laws had a place at Roaming shores, and another lived until a few months ago lived along Big Creek in Chardon. Worked several fish and mussel jobs on French Creek too.

You could stgill come visit :)

#36 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:15 PM

You could still come visit :)

Yeah! Although you might want to wait for a warm spell, or for spring. Tom and I were out Saturday. Small, slow moving streams were frozen over, and the Grand River was swollen and swift from rains earlier in the week (too dangerous to enter). We'd love to meet you when we get some favorable weather.

#37 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

Membership doesn't really mean much either, when it comes to collection site data. The bad guys can join just as easily as the good guys, as we've painfully seen in the past. Having a members-only database is no good compromise at all.

On the other hand, I think we should probably have such a record of good location data for right & proper scientific use. The tricky part would be maintaining it's security and making certain that only those with a seriously legitimate reason to have access to it would ever conceivably GET access to it, and only then on a demonstrated as-need basis and per-species basis, that is, never letting anyone get ahold of the entire list at once, which could be disastrous. I mean, think about it, if NANFA doesn't have a database like that, then who would? If a database like that got created by someone else because NANFA didn't have one, then we'd have no way of controlling what happens to the data. Then again, how would we determine who was worthy of getting that information? There's way too much room for error in that if you ask me. People are only human, and as such apt to make huge mistakes on occasion. If some sleazy fatcat fishmonger wants to make a big donation to NANFA, or a bigger bribe to the recordkeeper, in exchange for collection data on imperiled but highly desirable species he can then raid for fun and profit, then what's to prevent him from getting his grimy hands on that info? Who is to say that some seemingly innocent grad student wanting to do something with Ghost Shiners won't wind up working in some fishfarm someday and be tasked with the job of thinking of a new white colored fish that can be mass-harvested and dyed in pretty rainbow colors? Extreme examples, yes, but not completely implausible. How about a guy who deliberately transplants desirable fish from out of his area into his local streams just so he can save gas money when he wants to sell a bunch of them on Aquabid? ( That really happens! ) You never know WHAT will happen next, and I see no reason to make some of the worst case scenarios any more likely to occur.

I suppose the best thing to do would be nothing, in the hope that no other non-NANFA entity would be ABLE to compile a database like that. Bear in mind, of course, that several small databases like this already exist, but none are particularly exhaustive or widely encompassing. We could create the granddaddy of them all with our available resources, but while it would certainly be really cool, I still don't think that we should, and I hope you all agree. I see too many people getting big ideas in this thread already, and I don't find it comforting.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I can certainly understand why we'd want such a database, I can also understand why we most certainly wouldn't, and I hope you guys can understand it as well. If anyone would, it should be you guys. Please, don't do it.

#38 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:01 AM

I mean, think about it, if NANFA doesn't have a database like that, then who would?

NatureServe already has a database like that. They'll share it with you if you give them a good reason to, but they won't just give it to the general public. Exactly what you are advocating. A better endeavor might be to offer to contribute to that database.

#39 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

EDIT:

#40 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I saved the collection data sheet as a pdf and made a word doc out of it so the info could be typed in it instead of hand written. Just thought it might help.

Attached File  collection_data_sheet.doc   35.17KB   39 downloads

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users