Fall/Winter collecting

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Anyone collect during these seasons? I had thought about going out and dipnetting but wasn't quite sure how successful I would be. I guess this varies on locale and target species.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

Anyone collect during these seasons? I had thought about going out and dipnetting but wasn't quite sure how successful I would be. I guess this varies on locale and target species.

I pretty much collect year round.
It actually is interesting in that many species of fish are easier to get in late fall and during winter than in the Summer or spring. Alot of the more deepwater (colder temp. preference) species move toward the shore and are much easier to get.
I do alot of mudpuppy work during the winter and it really is suprising just how many fish species we regularly get in the traps and nets. My favorite winter time fish is the Burbot and we get quite a few of these each year. The darters where I am at are also more in the open and easier to catch. (Presumably because the Round gobies have vacated the shallow water and went deep so the darters vacate the deep water and move shallow)

Collecting in January is lots of fun actually....really cold and alot of work... but fun never the less.

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

I like the fact that the cold water slows them down. Some of those fast fish can be had (once you break the ice) in the winter. Finding holes in the waders isn't much fun though.

#4 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

Yea, I thought about collecting soon, but it's been so cold. I didn't know if I would find anything or not. And I always go collecting in sandals and shorts, and I don't think that will work too well now. I don't wanna spend the money on Waders either.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Yea, I thought about collecting soon, but it's been so cold. I didn't know if I would find anything or not. And I always go collecting in sandals and shorts, and I don't think that will work too well now. I don't wanna spend the money on Waders either.

You can get Hodgman waders for about $20.00 on sale at the major sporting goods stores (especially right now). Look for off season specials. Maybe not the most durable but they keep the water out.

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

We collected last year with nets and minnow traps. I don't know if we'll be dragging any seines though.

#7 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

We collect year round as well. Some of the fish are much more abundant in the winter, such as the Elassoma species. They are full grown during this time and this is the best and easiest time to get them before the post-spawn die-off. We also have good success with teh Enneacanthus spp and any other fish that might spend the summer getting up to size. Then again, it never really gets that terribly cold down this way.

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

We do a lot of brook trout fishing in the Shenandoah so we spend some time in sub-40F water. Maybe I can sucker someone into going collecting instead.

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

My first collecting trip was with Chip, Dustin and others. On the second day there was freezing rain. We noticed that the nets were frozen open when we turned them upside down for another swipe.

#10 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Teleost, I'll have to look into those waders. The trouble is that I probably won't be able to get someone to seine with me. Guess I'll try some dipnetting.

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Oh yeah, all year around. Centrarchid are darn hard to find in the winter though. Sometimes I find them by sticking my hand under large creek rocks and grabbing them. Winter is by far the best time to collect darters in my opinion. I work less in the winter (if that is possible) so I actually get to spend more time in the water.

#12 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

I don't collect in the winter often but I have collected in the fall plenty of times and hope to do more winter collecting this year. I typically have the same luck in all the seasons. In the summer there is more to collect but in the winter the fish are usually more easy.

#13 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Would it be a good idea for collecting in Southeastern region in September to November? Fishes in mid-late Summer seem to get infections easily, but there seems to be lots of rain in the Fall.

#14 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

Water is usually low by the fall time. Any rain drains pretty quickly. Is it also easier to handle the fish for extended periods when the temperature is cooler.

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

I seem to do most of my collecting in the Fall. Jan/Feb are the rainy months.

#16 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks. Do male shiners in the fall still keep some color though?

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thanks. Do male shiners in the fall still keep some color though?

Just enough color to distinguish sexes, usually. depends on species.
salt or "bait-saver" in a dark-colored collecting bucket may help reduce bact/fungal infections from collecting stress.
but some species just seem more disease prone if collected in warm weather even with best of care. taillight shiner is a tricky one.

#18 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

Thanks. So Fall collecting, while less exciting with less OH!, may be better for the fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users