Madtom Trap

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

I was reading a post saying that madtoms can be found in debris in creeks such as inside old coke cans, this got me thinking. So I made a sort of miniature version of a wire fish trap with a water bottle. I just cut the funnel part off the top and turn it around so it funnels the fish in and keeps them there. If you cut it right you don't have to glue the parts together it stays tight and doesn't move. All I need to do is poke vent holes and test 'em out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do yall think? I spray painted the outside black also I don't know if it will help.

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

That should work,take a candle and heat a coat hanger the heal the seam and burn holes in the rest of it to sink
add a little bit of sand and your off fishing

#3 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

coat hanger! Great idea thanks!

#4 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

Very creative and resourceful idea!

Keep us posted about any luck you have with it.

#5 Guest_Nocomis_*

Guest_Nocomis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

I went to grad school that mad

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

Uh, HOW mad were you?

:-k

#7 Guest_Nocomis_*

Guest_Nocomis_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

I went to school and it made me mad!! But what I was trying to say was that I went to school with a guy that made a beer can madtom trot line. my suggestion was that if it does work you might want to try making the hole bigger, before my connection dropped me

#8 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I just tried your bottle idea. I put two of em in my outdoor pond and caught a crawfish, 2 hybrid sunfish, and a turtle (yellow-bellied slider) because he was sleeping in the funnel. No baut in the traps. Great idea! it works really well.

#9 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

I like it. Great idea. Drop a dozen or so while you go dip netting and then return an few hours later to see what you caught. Plus those wasteful water bottles might actually get a few more uses before they end up in a land fill for another 1000 years.

#10 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

What size bottles are shown in the photos? I'm not having much luck looking for broadtail madtoms in beer bottles and cans anymore.

#11 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

I just made one of those last week. I hadn't even read that yet! lol I put it out tonight for the second time. Hopefully I get something this time.

#12 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

I just made one of those last week. I hadn't even read that yet! lol I put it out tonight for the second time. Hopefully I get something this time.

Skunked again.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users